all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fancier align-regexp?
@ 2009-01-13  5:25 jrwats
From: jrwats @ 2009-01-13  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Input:
Lorem ipsum dolor: sit amet
consectetur: adipiscing elit. Etiam
sed purus: Vestibulum
ante: ipsum
primis in: faucibus

You'll have to paste the following into emacs I'm afraid (or set your
browser to monospace font?) to get this to look 1/2 decent.

I want (the colons aligned with the words preceding them "following"
the colon to the aligned point)
 Internet IP Address:  	67.170.74.92
         Subnet Mask: 	255.255.252.0
     Default Gateway: 	67.170.72.1
                DNS1: 	68.87.69.146
                DNS2: 	68.87.85.98
                DNS3: 	68.87.78.130

calling align-regexp on ":" doesn't work obviously and puts the spaces
between the words preceding the colon:
rem ipsum dolor : sit amet
consectetur       : adipiscing elit. Etiam
sed purus         : Vestibulum
ante              : ipsum
primis in         : faucibus

I know align-regexp has a fancier method to use with a prefix arg, but
I'm not smart enough for it.  Is it possible to accomplish this with
align-regexp?  A macro?

* Re: Fancier align-regexp?
@ 2009-01-13 14:57 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2009-01-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jrwats wrote:
> Input:
> Lorem ipsum dolor: sit amet
> consectetur: adipiscing elit. Etiam
> sed purus: Vestibulum
> ante: ipsum
> primis in: faucibus
>
> You'll have to paste the following into emacs I'm afraid (or set your
> browser to monospace font?) to get this to look 1/2 decent.
>
> I want (the colons aligned with the words preceding them "following"
> the colon to the aligned point)
>  Internet IP Address:  	67.170.74.92
>          Subnet Mask: 	255.255.252.0
>      Default Gateway: 	67.170.72.1
>                 DNS1: 	68.87.69.146
>                 DNS2: 	68.87.85.98
>                 DNS3: 	68.87.78.130
>

> calling align-regexp on ":" doesn't work obviously and puts the spaces
> between the words preceding the colon:
> rem ipsum dolor : sit amet
> consectetur       : adipiscing elit. Etiam
> sed purus         : Vestibulum
> ante              : ipsum
> primis in         : faucibus
>
> I know align-regexp has a fancier method to use with a prefix arg, but
> I'm not smart enough for it.  Is it possible to accomplish this with
> align-regexp?  A macro?

C-u M-x align-regexp \(\s-*.+\): -1 1 n

* Re: Fancier align-regexp?
@ 2009-01-13 22:12   ` jrwats
From: jrwats @ 2009-01-13 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> C-u M-x align-regexp \(\s-*.+\): -1 1 n- Hide quoted text -

Awesome -1 ==> justify === perfect.
Many thanks