all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-26 16:14 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-02-26 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm hoping that someone can help, but when I'm in a buffer of my
bibliography, there is a drop-down list in the menu-bar, of buffer
commands titled 'Entry-Types'. But what program puts it there?

I want to create a new command to an entry in it, but I don't know what
the originating program is. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.3, org 9.3.6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-27  5:48 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-02-27  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm hoping that someone can help, but when I'm in a buffer of my
bibliography, there is a drop-down list in the menu-bar, of bibliography
commands, titled 'Entry-Types'. But what program belongs to it?

I want to create a new command to an entry in it, but I don't know what
the originating program is. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.2, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.3, org 9.3.6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-27  6:01 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-27  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I'm hoping that someone can help, but when
> I'm in a buffer of my bibliography, there is
> a drop-down list in the menu-bar, of
> bibliography commands, titled 'Entry-Types'.
> But what program belongs to it?

As you know, when you enter an Emacs buffer,
Emacs enters a mode. In this case, it could be
bibtex-mode, the "[m]ajor mode for editing
BibTeX files." according to its
function docstring.

> I want to create a new command to an entry in
> it, but I don't know what the originating
> program is. Can anyone help please?

Line 3541 in
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/bibtex.el.gz

Wrote some Bibtex here:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/my-bibtex.el

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-27  7:46 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-02-27  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Feb 27 2020, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I'm hoping that someone can help, but when I'm in a buffer of my
> bibliography, there is a drop-down list in the menu-bar, of
> bibliography
> commands, titled 'Entry-Types'. But what program belongs to it?
>
> I want to create a new command to an entry in it, but I don't
> know what
> the originating program is. Can anyone help please?

The menu is created in `bibtex.el`. Search for "easy-menu-define"
to find the location. (`bibtex.el` doesn't use `easy-menu-define`,
but it's mentioned in a comment where the menu is defined.)

However, modifying the menu will take some knowledge of Elisp.
Besides, if you just want to add an entry type, modifying the menu
yourself is the wrong way to go. You should customize
`bibtex-BibTeX-entry-alist` or `bibtex-biblatex-entry-alist`
instead.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-27 11:15 ` Simon Butler
From: Simon Butler @ 2020-02-27 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sharon

the menu is part of BibTeX-mode (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BibTeX)

hth

Simon

@ 2020-02-28  9:36   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-02-28  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Butler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Simon Butler <simon@floss.nu> writes:

> Hi Sharon
>
> the menu is part of BibTeX-mode (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BibTeX)

Thanks Simon, I've now been able to provide a key-sequence for 'Online
Resource' like so -

(global-set-key "\C-c C-e C-o" 'bibtex-Online)

however, it is shown in the drop-down-menu of bibtex commands as

Online Resource           C-c SPC C-e SPC C-o

How can I lose the 'SPC' in the drop-down list of commands please, so it
looks very similar to all the others?

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2020-02-28 19:55     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-02-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Simon Butler <simon@floss.nu> writes:
>
>> Hi Sharon
>>
>> the menu is part of BibTeX-mode (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BibTeX)
>
> Thanks Simon, I've now been able to provide a key-sequence for 'Online
> Resource' like so -
>
> (global-set-key "\C-c C-e C-o" 'bibtex-Online)
>

> however, it is shown in the drop-down-menu of bibtex commands as
>
> Online Resource           C-c SPC C-e SPC C-o
>
> How can I lose the 'SPC' in the drop-down list of commands please, so it
> looks very similar to all the others?

IIUC, you want to say

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-e C-o") 'bibtex-Online)

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Bibliography entry in the menu-bar
@ 2020-02-28 20:05     ` Simon Butler
From: Simon Butler @ 2020-02-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi

On 2020-02-28 10:36, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Simon Butler <simon@floss.nu> writes:
>
>> Hi Sharon
>>
>> the menu is part of BibTeX-mode (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BibTeX)
> Thanks Simon, I've now been able to provide a key-sequence for 'Online
> Resource' like so -

> (global-set-key "\C-c C-e C-o" 'bibtex-Online)
>
> however, it is shown in the drop-down-menu of bibtex commands as

> Online Resource           C-c SPC C-e SPC C-o
>
> How can I lose the 'SPC' in the drop-down list of commands please, so it
> looks very similar to all the others?

(global-set-key "\C-c\C-e\C-o" 'bibtex-Online) should eliminate the spaces afaik

Simon