all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Buffer list location
@ 2009-08-11 13:51 Andrew Goodnough
From: Andrew Goodnough @ 2009-08-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like the Buffer List to always appear as a horizontal window at the
bottom.  But when I have emacs maximized and show the Buffer List, it
appears in a new window, split vertically on the right side.  I think emacs
is trying to be smart about where I've got the most screen real estate at
the moment but I wish it would always go on the bottom.  Is there a variable
to set this by chance?

Andy

* Re: Buffer list location
@ 2009-08-11 18:42 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-08-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Goodnough <agoodno@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Andrew,

> I'd like the Buffer List to always appear as a horizontal window at
> the bottom.  But when I have emacs maximized and show the Buffer List,
> it appears in a new window, split vertically on the right side.  I
> think emacs is trying to be smart about where I've got the most screen
> real estate at the moment but I wish it would always go on the bottom.
> Is there a variable to set this by chance?

Is that (a) special for the buffer list, or (b) do you want emacs never
to split vertically?

In case (b), add

    (setq split-width-threshold nil)

to your ~/.emacs.  In case (b), you can use an advice around
buffer-list.

    (defadvice list-buffers (around forbid-horizontal-split activate)
      (let ((split-width-threshold nil))
        ad-do-it))

Bye,
Tassilo