all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* automatic frame layout
@ 2007-08-02  6:04 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-08-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am wondering, how I can achieve a certain frame layout, which I
can recall any time.
I think about a window divided in four equally sized frames with two
dired-buffers
on top and the 'corresponding' buffer for the files at the bottom.
The button frames should be
connected to the dired buffers, so that the left top dired buffers
opens all files in the left bottom buffer
and the top right dired buffers opens all files in the right bottom
buffer.
After handling and enlarging one of the file buffer I would like to
return to the beginning layout with
four equally sized buffer...
Does anyone have an idea, if this is possible?

Greetings!
Fabian

* Re: automatic frame layout
@ 2007-08-02 12:29 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-08-02 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2 ago, 03:04, Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering, how I can achieve a certain frame layout, which I
> can recall any time.
> I think about a window divided in four equally sized frames with two
> dired-buffers
> on top and the 'corresponding' buffer for the files at the bottom.
> The button frames should be
> connected to the dired buffers, so that the left top dired buffers
> opens all files in the left bottom buffer
> and the top right dired buffers opens all files in the right bottom
> buffer.
> After handling and enlarging one of the file buffer I would like to
> return to the beginning layout with
> four equally sized buffer...
> Does anyone have an idea, if this is possible?
>
> Greetings!
> Fabian

Maybe this can be a start, check the section "Switching Window
Configurations":
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWindows#toc3

HTH,
weber

* Re: automatic frame layout
@ 2007-08-02 22:19   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-08-02 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi weber,

weber schrieb am 08/02/2007 12:29 PM:
> On 2 ago, 03:04, Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstr...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering, how I can achieve a certain frame layout, which I
>> can recall any time.
>> I think about a window divided in four equally sized frames with two
>> dired-buffers
>> on top and the 'corresponding' buffer for the files at the bottom.
>> The button frames should be
>> connected to the dired buffers, so that the left top dired buffers
>> opens all files in the left bottom buffer
>> and the top right dired buffers opens all files in the right bottom
>> buffer.
>> After handling and enlarging one of the file buffer I would like to
>> return to the beginning layout with
>> four equally sized buffer...
>> Does anyone have an idea, if this is possible?
>>
>> Greetings!
>> Fabian
>
> Maybe this can be a start, check the section "Switching Window
> Configurations":
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWindows#toc3

Thanks for the link; it looks like a good start :-)

Regards!
Fabian

* Re: automatic frame layout
@ 2007-08-06 14:23     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-08-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Fabian Braennstroem

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am wondering, how I can achieve a certain frame layout, which I
> can recall any time.

You could look into:
`window-configuration-to-register' and `jump-to-register' for this.  But
you can't store configurations between sessions with that.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher