all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: edgar@openmail.cc
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 03:44:22 +0000	[thread overview]

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:10:06 -0700
> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org
>
> edgar@openmail.cc writes:
>
> For anyone who's paying attention to US politics (I hope it's not
> ruining your day), the lesson I think we're learning here is that
> positions that are held for emotional reasons only get stronger the
> more
> you attack them.

The lessons that I learned were:
- that it is very seldom to find a place to work with free software
- that there are people who don't give a rat's ass about freedom.
- that there are people who are committed to freedom
- that many people expect me to give away my and future generations
rights
- that this is a harder decision than I expected

I disagree on politics being exclusively related to "emotional reasons",
but I don't want to diverge.

> Knowing nothing more about your adviser than what you've written in
> this
> thread, it sounds like it might be an emotional issue for her (as it
> may
> be for you, and certainly is for many of us here!). Meaning, she's
> likely to respond to any perceived "attack" by doubling down.

If the previous point of not fighting emotional arguments is valid, then
may be being rational about it may help. We are talking about people's
freedom. Nothing can be more humanly irrational and reasonable at the
same time than that. My 2 cents.

> So it might be time to try out the Daoist playbook and "do without
> doing". That's not helpful advice without more specifics, but my
> understanding of the approach is that you create the conditions
> conducive to the result you want, rather than forcing the result
> itself.
> So that might mean providing a useful FOSS-based service to your fellow
> students, or helping people understand your workflow in a
> non-pressuring
> way, or... otherwise convincing people that it was their idea to begin
> with.

Fighting, indeed, has shown to _always_ create more issues than it's
supposed to resolve. Being smart about it: yes.

> Just an idea!
>
> Eric

Thank you, Eric :)

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!