all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Claudio Grondi <claudio.grondi@freenet.de>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 62535@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#62535: 29.0.60; Wrong left, top values stored in .emacs.desktop file
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:11:12 +0200	[thread overview]

Installed Emacs 27.1 lucid version. It hasn't shown the described
problem and I have had the impression that the graphics comes up faster.

Then I have compiled Emacs 29.0.60 with lucid instead of gtk and was not
able to reproduce the bug either.

I think I will stay with the lucid version.
I have been biased towards gtk because of python tkinter gui toolkit I
have been already familiar with.

The drift left and up ... seem to happen during the initialization
process of Emacs.
I am not 100% sure, but I have had the impression that there was an
extremely short period of time where the window was at the right place
and then moved a bit. Finally on exit Emacs saves then the changed
position. In other words the problem appears to be repositioning the
window while processing the .desktop and/or the other the initialization
files.

If you can't reproduce this behavior from the .emacs.desktop file ...
the reason for it will remain maybe a strange mystery (until it pops up
again in another context in future Emacs versions).