loading the following xml into emacs -q and using indent-region on the whole file produces the layout shown with indented to the level of the wrapped attribute. Also unless nxml-char-ref-display-glyph-flag is set to nil, the #10 displays a newline so the display appears as so spoiling the visual indentation. (In the actual use case in XSLT, the newlines are only entered as rather than a literal newline to improve the indentation layout of the stylesheet so having the newline displayed defeats this completely.) Previous versions of nxml-mode (I had not updated emacs for a year, so I am unsure of when exactly it changed) would indent the file as With the indentation of correctly indicating the element nesting and not being affected by the attribute wrapping in