all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* scroll-conservatively but still cursor *sometimes* still jumps off  bottom
@ 2009-12-12  5:28 Chris Seberino
       [not found] ` <mailman.12851.1260634113.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris Seberino @ 2009-12-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want up and down arrow keys to advance by 1 line so I added this
to .emacs...

(setq scroll-conservatively most-positive-fixnum)

I noticed that when moving down through big files, *sometimes* the
cursor will jump from bottom of screen to middle.

Any idea why this would happen only some of the time?

cs

* Re: scroll-conservatively but still cursor *sometimes* still jumps  off bottom
@ 2009-12-12 16:08 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found] ` <mailman.12851.1260634113.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-12-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chris Seberino; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I noticed that when moving down through big files, *sometimes* the
> cursor will jump from bottom of screen to middle.
>
> Any idea why this would happen only some of the time?

Because Emacs' redisplay is unable to keep with the scrolling. Before
23.1, with scroll-conservatively set to a large value, Emacs never
jumped; now it tries no to do it, but sometimes it fails. I think the
relevant ChangeLog entry is this one:

2008-10-27  Chong Yidong  <cyd@stupidchicken.com>

        * xdisp.c (try_scrolling): When computing the distance from the
        scroll margin to PT, try moving some distance past the window
        bottom before giving up.

    Juanma

@ 2009-12-12 16:33   ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2009-12-12 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 12, 10:08 am, Juanma Barranquero <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because Emacs' redisplay is unable to keep with the scrolling.

Juanma

Thanks!  Does the latest version fix this problem?  Is there another
fix?  Or, do we all just have to wait until it gets fixed in future?

@ 2009-12-12 17:48     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-12-12 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chris Seberino; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Thanks!  Does the latest version fix this problem?  Is there another
> fix?  Or, do we all just have to wait until it gets fixed in future?

I don't think it is currently considered a bug, but you're free to
report one with M-x report-emacs-bug :-)

    Juanma