all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs fontset no window
@ 2009-10-11 19:52 davemilter
       [not found] ` <mailman.8559.1255293974.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: davemilter @ 2009-10-11 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have such code in ~/.emacs:

(if (eq window-system 'x)
  (set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
  'han '("Vera Sans YuanTi" . "unicode-bmp"))
)

I suppose that set-fontset-font should not be executed in
"emacs -nw", but exatcly that lines:
  (set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
  'han '("Vera Sans YuanTi" . "unicode-bmp"))

 cause problem during startup in "emacs -nw" mode,

so I completly not understand logic of emacs,
can anybody explain?

* Re: emacs fontset no window
@ 2009-10-11 20:45 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found] ` <mailman.8559.1255293974.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-10-11 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davemilter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 21:52, davemilter <davemilter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose that set-fontset-font should not be executed in
> "emacs -nw", but exatcly that lines:
>  (set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
>  'han '("Vera Sans YuanTi" . "unicode-bmp"))
>
>  cause problem during startup in "emacs -nw" mode,

What kind of problem? Could you be more explicit?

    Juanma

* Re: emacs fontset no window
       [not found] ` <mailman.8559.1255293974.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-11 21:08   ` davemilter
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8563.1255299311.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: davemilter @ 2009-10-11 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 12, 12:45 am, Juanma Barranquero <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 21:52, davemilter <davemil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I suppose that set-fontset-font should not be executed in
> > "emacs -nw", but exatcly that lines:
> >  (set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
> >  'han '("Vera Sans YuanTi" . "unicode-bmp"))
>
> >  cause problem during startup in "emacs -nw" mode,
>
> What kind of problem? Could you be more explicit?
>
>     Juanma

Actually at begin I have one problem, when I run
emacs -nw
it tells:
error "Fontset `tty' does not exist"

emacs -nw --debug-init tells:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Fontset `tty' does not
exist")
  set-fontset-font("tty" han ("Vera Sans YuanTi" . "unicode-bmp"))

I thought that this is easy problem, of course in terminal there is no
font
which use X Window system,
so I wrote
(if (eq window-system 'x)
to tell emacs call it only if run emacs in X Window mode,

and at now I have two problems:
- emacs -nw not read all init file, because of:
error "Fontset `tty' does not exist"
-(if (eq window-system 'x) not working

* Re: emacs fontset no window
@ 2009-10-11 22:08     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8563.1255299311.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-11 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davemilter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.10.2009 um 23:08 schrieb davemilter:

> -(if (eq window-system 'x) not working

Then you would have a *very* unique GNU Emacs! Does this following
Elisp code also fail?

	(if (eq window-system 'x)
	  (message "Greetings from the X server!")
	  (message "Your terminal wants to tell you \"Hello!\"")
	)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
         than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
         bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.

* Re: emacs fontset no window
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8563.1255299311.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-12  6:43       ` davemilter
From: davemilter @ 2009-10-12  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12 окт, 02:08, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 11.10.2009 um 23:08 schrieb davemilter:
>
> > -(if (eq window-system 'x) not working
>
> Then you would have a *very* unique GNU Emacs! Does this following
> Elisp code also fail?

I solve my problem, thanks.
I was expecting that "if  statement" have another
syntax, works untill I use "else" keyword,
so actully my set-fontset work only in "emacs -nw" mode