all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .dir-locals.el and bug-reference-mode
       [not found] <E1LMtkz-0001jp-Kk@cvs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-14  3:51 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-01-14  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Emacs developers

Juri Linkov wrote:

> Log message:
> 	(change-log-mode): Add bug-reference-url-format and bug-reference-mode.

I like bug-reference-mode, but I do not think it should be turned on
in this way for Emacs ChangeLogs. It should be a matter of personal
preference - it's entirely possible to work on Emacs ChangeLogs
without it.

* Re: .dir-locals.el and bug-reference-mode
@ 2009-01-14 10:28   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-01-14 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs developers

>> Log message:
>> 	(change-log-mode): Add bug-reference-url-format and bug-reference-mode.
>
> I like bug-reference-mode, but I do not think it should be turned on
> in this way for Emacs ChangeLogs. It should be a matter of personal
> preference - it's entirely possible to work on Emacs ChangeLogs
> without it.

This is for the convenience of Emacs developers to save time figuring
out how to enable it.  It's just additional highlighting in the
ChangeLog files like highlighting of file names or function names,
so it can't be more distracting.  Maybe even change-log-mode should
enable it by default because bug-reference-mode is too useful.

However, unlike enabling it in change-log-mode, local variables
from .dir-locals.el currently can't be overridden by the user,
so perhaps now we should remove it from .dir-locals.el.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: .dir-locals.el and bug-reference-mode
@ 2009-01-14 11:01     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-01-14 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Emacs developers

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:28, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

> However, unlike enabling it in change-log-mode, local variables
> from .dir-locals.el currently can't be overridden by the user,
> so perhaps now we should remove it from .dir-locals.el.

There is a thread were this issue was being discussed, isn't it? It'd
be sensible to reach a consensus about the proper priority of user
(.emacs) and file-local overrides vs .dir-locals before doing more
.dir-locals juggling, IMHO.

    Juanma