all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#1868: Default fontset not discussed in documentation
@ 2009-01-12 10:46 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-01-12 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Bug Tracker

Package: emacs,documentation
Version: 23.0.60
Severity: minor

(emacs)Fonsets describes the "startup fontset" (fontset-startup) and
the "standard fontset" (fontset-standard), but it does not mention the
"default fontset" (fontset-default).

(elisp)Fonsets mentions the default fontset in the description of
`set-fontset-font', with:

     If NAME is `nil', this function modifies the default fontset,
     whose short name is `fontset-default'.

However, what is the default fontset, its uses, or how does it relates
to fontset-startup and fontset-standard, are never discussed anywhere.

* bug#1868: marked as done (Default fontset not discussed in  documentation)
@ 2009-02-24 14:00   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-02-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jason Rumney

Your message dated Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:53:12 +0800
with message-id <49A3FBC8.3020302@f2s.com>
and subject line Re: bug#1868: Default fontset not discussed in documentation
has caused the Emacs bug report #1868,
regarding Default fontset not discussed in documentation
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
1868: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1868
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2890 bytes --]

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
To: "Emacs Bug Tracker" <submit@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com>
Subject: Default fontset not discussed in documentation
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:46:33 +0100

Package: emacs,documentation
Version: 23.0.60
Severity: minor

(emacs)Fonsets describes the "startup fontset" (fontset-startup) and
the "standard fontset" (fontset-standard), but it does not mention the
"default fontset" (fontset-default).

(elisp)Fonsets mentions the default fontset in the description of
`set-fontset-font', with:

     If NAME is `nil', this function modifies the default fontset,
     whose short name is `fontset-default'.

However, what is the default fontset, its uses, or how does it relates
to fontset-startup and fontset-standard, are never discussed anywhere.

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3418 bytes --]

From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@f2s.com>
To: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>, 1868-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:53:12 +0800

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> Package: emacs,documentation
> Version: 23.0.60
> Severity: minor
>
> (emacs)Fonsets describes the "startup fontset" (fontset-startup) and
> the "standard fontset" (fontset-standard), but it does not mention the
> "default fontset" (fontset-default).

I've added a description of the default fontset to this section, and
modified the descriptions of the other two based on how I observe them
working in Emacs 23, including the fact that fontset-startup seems to be
defined even if you don't specify a startup font explicitly, and both
fontsets fall back on fontset-default for characters that are not
covered by their respective definitions.