all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help me with adding emacs features.
@ 2008-11-10  8:32 Alexander M
From: Alexander M @ 2008-11-10  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I'm writing to ask if anyone could help me create a few functions for emacs.

The first function I would like to implement in emacs is that it should
display some kind of marker on every n:th line.
This functions purpose is to help me remember where page-breaks would
occur when printing.

The second function I would like to have is a sort of vertical marker at
the n:th column to show me where line-breaks would occur when printing.

I guess these functions could be created with a bit of emacs lisp,
unfortunately I don't know emacs lisp so if anyone would help me it
would be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Alexander M

P.S. If anyone know of any good forum for this kind of discussion,
please notify me.

* Re: Help me with adding emacs features.
@ 2008-11-10 14:45 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-11-10 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander M; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:32, Alexander M <alex334599@gmail.com> wrote:

> The first function I would like to implement in emacs is that it should
> display some kind of marker on every n:th line.
> This functions purpose is to help me remember where page-breaks would
> occur when printing.

You can use linum.el to add line numbers, and by customizing
linum-before-numbering-hook and linum-format you can make it to show
certain lines in a different way. If you've got Emacs from the CVS
repository, you already have linum.el; otherwise, check

  http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225855/linum/linum.html

> The second function I would like to have is a sort of vertical marker at
> the n:th column to show me where line-breaks would occur when printing.

There are several libraries which can help you do that
(colum-marker.el, col-highlight.el, vline.el, etc.). Take a look at

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightCurrentColumn

  Juanma

* Re: Help me with adding emacs features.
@ 2008-11-10 14:53   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-11-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander M; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 15:45, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can use linum.el to add line numbers, and by customizing
> linum-before-numbering-hook and linum-format you can make it to show
> certain lines in a different way.

Just adding this to your .emacs is enough:

(defvar my-page-length 60)
(setq linum-format (lambda (n)
                     (if (zerop (mod n my-page-length))
                         "^L"
                       "  ")))
(global-linum-mode 1)

or you can leave the last line out and use M-x linum-mode in the
buffers you're interested.

  Juanma