On Nov 30, 2007 11:34 AM, 山本和彦 Kazu Yamamoto wrote: > I'm not sure the point of this example. The point of the example is (and I'm sure you know it) that dynamic variables can be used in ways that are not evident to the byte-compiler just by looking at the lexical scope where the dynamic variable is used... > What I want to say is that case-fold-search in the following example > is not warned with XEmacs because it is defined with 'defvar'. So, yes: what you propose is forcing `defvar' for dynamic variables used across function boundaries. Juanma