all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-17 17:51 James Aguilar
From: James Aguilar @ 2007-01-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs folks,

Hello, I am a new and relatively inexperienced emacs user.  I was wondering
if there was an easy way to make a minor mode apply to all created buffers.
I want to do this so that I can use the column marker mode in all of my
buffers.

So far I have tried applying the mode through mode hooks, but this strategy
is unsuccessful for modes that do not provide a hook.  Also, it seems like a
bit of a hack, so I thought perhaps there might be a better way.

Any advice for the newbie?

Yours,
James Aguilar
--
[?] James Aguilar
[@] 333 Rengstorff Ave #23, Mountain View, CA, 94043

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
       [not found] <mailman.3212.1169056299.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-18  3:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-18  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello, I am a new and relatively inexperienced emacs user.  I was wondering
> if there was an easy way to make a minor mode apply to all created buffers.
> I want to do this so that I can use the column marker mode in all of my
> buffers.

> So far I have tried applying the mode through mode hooks, but this strategy
> is unsuccessful for modes that do not provide a hook.  Also, it seems like a
> bit of a hack, so I thought perhaps there might be a better way.

> Any advice for the newbie?

In Emacs-CVS (to become Emacs-22) there is a macro
`define-global-minor-mode' which can create a global mode (that applies to
"all" buffers) from a local minor mode (which can only be turned on one
buffer at a time).

That should do the trick for you, although a newbie will probably need extra
help to make use of it.

Also it's being renamed as we speak.

@ 2007-01-18 21:08 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-01-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs folks,

> Hello, I am a new and relatively inexperienced emacs user.  I was
> wondering if there was an easy way to make a minor mode apply to all
> created buffers.  I want to do this so that I can use the column
> marker mode in all of my buffers.

Well, if you want to have a minor mode running all the time, putting
(whatever-mode t)
into your .emacs file should do the trick. I'm not sure if it works with
all modes, but here it does with column-number-mode and global-font-lock-mode.

>[...]
> Yours,
> James Aguilar

Greetings

Malte

* RE: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-18 22:03   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-18 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Hello, I am a new and relatively inexperienced emacs user.  I was
> > wondering if there was an easy way to make a minor mode apply to all
> > created buffers.  I want to do this so that I can use the column
> > marker mode in all of my buffers.
>
> Well, if you want to have a minor mode running all the time, putting
> (whatever-mode t)
> into your .emacs file should do the trick. I'm not sure if it works with
> all modes, but here it does with column-number-mode and
> global-font-lock-mode.

A minor mode "running all the time" does not mean that it is turned on in
all buffers. (whatever-mode t) will turn on minor mode `whatever-mode' in
the current buffer only, unless `whatever-mode' happens to be defined as a
*global* minor mode.

`column-number-mode' and `global-font-lock-mode' are global minor modes, so
what you say about them is true, but I don't think it is pertinent to the
question.

If, by "column marker", the OP means what is provided by library
`column-marker.el' (e.g.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/column-marker.el), then it is
unrelated to `column-number-mode' and it is not a mode at all - neither
minor nor major.

Library `column-marker.el' provides commands that create column markers in
the current buffer. AFAIK, no automatic way is provided to get the same
effect in all buffers. However, you can always use a column-marker command
in a mode hook, so that each buffer of that mode calls the command to create
the same column marker.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-18 22:33     ` James Aguilar
From: James Aguilar @ 2007-01-18 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/18/07, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Library `column-marker.el' provides commands that create column markers in
> the current buffer. AFAIK, no automatic way is provided to get the same
> effect in all buffers. However, you can always use a column-marker command
> in a mode hook, so that each buffer of that mode calls the command to
> create
> the same column marker.

So there is no simple way to just make it apply to all buffers?  There's no
"all-modes-hook" or anything like that?  This is so frustrating.  Someone
must have needed this functionality before I did.

Can I make edits to the mode to make it global?  I'm thinking about
margin.el, which uses the command margin-mode.  Here's the code in question:

;;;###autoload
(define-minor-mode margin-mode
  "Minor mode that displays a margin"
  nil " | " nil ;;Does the first nil here determine whether the mode is on
or off by default?
  (if margin-mode
      (progn
        (margin-overlay-on)
        (jit-lock-register 'margin-change)
        (setq margin-mode t))
    ;; else
    (progn
      (margin-overlay-off)
      (jit-lock-unregister 'margin-change)
      (setq margin-mode nil))))

I thought that I might be able to change that to make it global somehow.  In
another section of code somewhere else, I saw :global t at the beginning of
the define-minor-mode function.  However, it didn't work properly.  Are
there other things I need to do?  Would setting the first nil to t do the
trick?

Yours,
James Aguilar
--
[?] James Aguilar
[@] 333 Rengstorff Ave #23, Mountain View, CA, 94043
[#] 314 494 0450
[!] Lately things just dont seem the same

* RE: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-18 22:40       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-18 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So there is no simple way to just make it apply to all buffers?  There's
no
> "all-modes-hook" or anything like that?

There is `change-major-mode-hook'.

> Can I make edits to the mode to make it global?  I'm thinking about
> margin.el, which uses the command margin-mode.

I don't know the answer. That functionality is available in Emacs 22,
however.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-19 10:37       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3316.1169224240.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-19 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:33:14 -0800
> From: "James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> So there is no simple way to just make it apply to all buffers?  There's no
> "all-modes-hook" or anything like that?  This is so frustrating.  Someone
> must have needed this functionality before I did.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all that this functionality is missing:
it really doesn't make much sense to turn on a minor mode in _all_
buffers.  You seem to think that the buffers are only created when you
visit a file, but that is false.  Emacs creates temporary and hidden
buffers a lot behind your back, because a buffer is one of the most
efficient data structures in Emacs, so many operations that other
languages do in memory, Emacs Lisp does with buffers.  You really do
NOT want to turn your column marker mode in those buffers that Emacs
creates for its internal workings, because that could easily interfere
with Emacs operation.  One notable example of such buffers are the
" *Minibuf-N*" buffers used for the minibuffer.

Could you perhaps be more specific in the description of what you
want?  Specifically, what files do you visit in the buffers that you
must have in column marker mode?  Do these files have some special
extension, or turn on some specific major or minor modes, or have
something else in common?

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-19 16:30         ` James Aguilar
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3316.1169224240.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: James Aguilar @ 2007-01-19 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/19/07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Actually, I'm not surprised at all that this functionality is missing . .
> .

Hmm, I figured that there might be a rationale.  However, if that is true,
then why are there global minor modes like global-font-lock-mode?

Could you perhaps be more specific in the description of what you
> want?  Specifically, what files do you visit in the buffers that you
> must have in column marker mode?  Do these files have some special
> extension, or turn on some specific major or minor modes, or have
> something else in common?

The purpose is allowing my window to be wider than eighty characters but
knowing where the eighty character limit is.  Some of my coworkers write
code that is wider than eighty characters.  However, I cannot stand wide
code and company policy is an 80 character max.  So I'd like to be able to
easily read the long-lined code, but I'd also like to have a guard that will
prevent me from going over the line.

This applies to several programming languages, text files, configuration
files, and even non-files (I have a personal aversion to >80 chars in all
files I edit).  Since my only use for emacs is to edit these kinds of files,
I'd like to have a guard at the end so that I can know when I'm over the
line.

auto-fill-mode will not work because I don't want to have to do a code
review for all those lines in every file I change.  Also, it sometimes
inserts newlines in places I would not want it to.  For instance, if I'm
coming to the end of the line and I'm writing the expression (x + y),
auto-fill-mode may insert the newline before or after the plus.  In either
case, by the time I have realized this has happened, I have to add my own
newline before the open parenthesis and delete the auto-fill-added newline.
It would be easier if it stayed on one line and there was a guard.  I can
accomplish this behavior by setting my window width, but, as I mentioned,
that is an unsuitable solution for me.

Maybe this will help you understand my problem.

Yours,
James Aguilar
--

@ 2007-01-19 17:06           ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3350.1169310294.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-01-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/19/07, James Aguilar <aguilar.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> The purpose is allowing my window to be wider than eighty characters but
> knowing where the eighty character limit is.

By using column-marker mode
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/column-marker.el) you can just
do:

 (require 'column-marker)

  (defface column-marker-policy-face ...) # whatever you find nice
  (defvar column-marker-policy-face 'column-marker-policy-face)

 (column-marker-create column-marker-policy column-marker-policy-face)

and then in programming modes' hooks, add:

  (column-marker-policy 80)

[I really use (column-marker-policy (setq fill-column 80)).]

It could be even easier by just using column-marker-{1,2,3}, but I
think these are best left for interactive use.

                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-20 16:24           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3350.1169310294.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:30:31 -0800
> From: "James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On 1/19/07, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I'm not surprised at all that this functionality is missing . .
> > .
>
> Hmm, I figured that there might be a rationale.  However, if that is true,
> then why are there global minor modes like global-font-lock-mode?

There are exceptions to every rule.

> This applies to several programming languages, text files, configuration
> files, and even non-files (I have a personal aversion to >80 chars in all
> files I edit).  Since my only use for emacs is to edit these kinds of files,
> I'd like to have a guard at the end so that I can know when I'm over the
> line.

Then mode hooks are probably the way to go.  I doubt that you use too
many major modes, so this boils down to crafting a dozen or so mode
hooks in your .emacs file.  For the few exceptions, you can always
turn on the mode by hand.

You said you thought using mode hooks looks like a hack, but in fact
that is the normal Emacs way of accomplishing such goals.

@ 2007-01-20 17:38             ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-01-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:30:31 -0800
> > From: "James Aguilar" <aguilar.james@gmail.com>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > This applies to several programming languages, text files, configuration
> > files, and even non-files (I have a personal aversion to >80 chars in all
> > files I edit).  Since my only use for emacs is to edit these kinds of files,
> > I'd like to have a guard at the end so that I can know when I'm over the
> > line.
>
> Then mode hooks are probably the way to go.  I doubt that you use too
> many major modes, so this boils down to crafting a dozen or so mode
> hooks in your .emacs file.  For the few exceptions, you can always
> turn on the mode by hand.

I think it would be useful is Emacs had some more general hooks than
the ones it has a present, for example:-
progmodes-hook - A hook ran whenever a programming language mode starts
plain-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by text-mode,
paragraph-indent-text-mode etc
formatted-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by tex-mode, nroff-mode,
sgml-mode etc

This would provide the functionality with less code than hooking many
modes. It would avoid the problem of weird minor modes affecting
temporary buffers and things like M-x snake.

I might write that sometime, but I can't right now.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-20 18:41               ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-01-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe wrote:

> I think it would be useful is Emacs had some more general hooks than
> the ones it has a present, for example:-
> progmodes-hook - A hook ran whenever a programming language mode starts
> plain-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by text-mode,
> paragraph-indent-text-mode etc
> formatted-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by tex-mode, nroff-mode,
> sgml-mode etc
>
> This would provide the functionality with less code than hooking many
> modes. It would avoid the problem of weird minor modes affecting
> temporary buffers and things like M-x snake.
>
> I might write that sometime, but I can't right now.

Did you look at `after-change-major-mode-hook'?

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-01-22  6:55               ` Mathias Dahl
       [not found]               ` <mailman.3356.1169318483.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-01-22  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:

> I think it would be useful is Emacs had some more general hooks than
> the ones it has a present, for example:- progmodes-hook - A hook ran
> whenever a programming language mode starts plain-text-modes-hook -
> A hook ran by text-mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode etc
> formatted-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by tex-mode, nroff-mode,
> sgml-mode etc

That would certainly be possible but it would require each mode-writer
to provide a "category", or there would have to be some kind of list
with the mapping from category to mode.

@ 2007-01-22 11:48                 ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.3429.1169501014.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-01-22 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> Robert Thorpe wrote:
>
> > I think it would be useful is Emacs had some more general hooks than
> > the ones it has a present, for example:-
> > progmodes-hook - A hook ran whenever a programming language mode starts
> > plain-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by text-mode,
> > paragraph-indent-text-mode etc
> > formatted-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by tex-mode, nroff-mode,
> > sgml-mode etc
> >
> > This would provide the functionality with less code than hooking many
> > modes. It would avoid the problem of weird minor modes affecting
> > temporary buffers and things like M-x snake.
> >
> > I might write that sometime, but I can't right now.
>

> Did you look at `after-change-major-mode-hook'?

The after-change-mode-hook is still quite tedious.
Let's say you want to enable hide-show mode in every mode in which it's
useful.  Generally it's only useful in programming language modes and a
few text modes, currently the only way to accurately do this is to
enable it individually in many hooks.

@ 2007-01-22 16:57           ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3919.1170444615.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This applies to several programming languages, text files, configuration
> files, and even non-files (I have a personal aversion to >80 chars in all
> files I edit).  Since my only use for emacs is to edit these kinds of files,
> I'd like to have a guard at the end so that I can know when I'm over the
> line.

You could start with find-file-hook.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
                                 ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]               ` <mailman.3356.1169318483.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-22 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think it would be useful is Emacs had some more general hooks than the
> ones it has a present, for example:- progmodes-hook - A hook ran whenever
> a programming language mode starts plain-text-modes-hook - A hook ran by
> text-mode, paragraph-indent-text-mode etc formatted-text-modes-hook -
> A hook ran by tex-mode, nroff-mode, sgml-mode etc

There is text-mode-hook.  As for prog-mode-hook, I agree 100%.

        Stefan

PS: Of course, tex-mode should run both text-mode-hook and prog-mode-hook.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 22 Jan 2007 03:48:30 -0800
>
> The after-change-mode-hook is still quite tedious.
> Let's say you want to enable hide-show mode in every mode in which it's
> useful.  Generally it's only useful in programming language modes and a
> few text modes, currently the only way to accurately do this is to
> enable it individually in many hooks.

Here's a simple solution to a similar problem I have in my .emacs for
quite some time:

    ;;; Turn on trailing whitespace highlighting in modes where
    ;;; it makes sense.
    (let* ((twh-modes '("texinfo-mode" "makefile-mode" "c-mode-common"
			"emacs-lisp-mode" "outline-mode" "sh-mode"
			"shell-script-mode"
			))
	   (elt (car twh-modes)))
      (while elt
	(add-hook (intern (concat elt "-hook"))
		  (function (lambda ()
			      (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))
	(setq twh-modes (cdr twh-modes)
	      elt (car twh-modes))))

If I ever need to do that in an additional mode, all I have to do is
add another mode name to the list at the beginning of this snippet:
hardly a tedious job.

@ 2007-01-23 17:48                     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-01-23 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > Date: 22 Jan 2007 03:48:30 -0800
> >
> > The after-change-mode-hook is still quite tedious.
> > Let's say you want to enable hide-show mode in every mode in which it's
> > useful.  Generally it's only useful in programming language modes and a
> > few text modes, currently the only way to accurately do this is to
> > enable it individually in many hooks.
>
> Here's a simple solution to a similar problem I have in my .emacs for
> quite some time:
>
>     ;;; Turn on trailing whitespace highlighting in modes where
>     ;;; it makes sense.
>     (let* ((twh-modes '("texinfo-mode" "makefile-mode" "c-mode-common"
> 			"emacs-lisp-mode" "outline-mode" "sh-mode"
> 			"shell-script-mode"
> 			))
> 	   (elt (car twh-modes)))
>       (while elt
> 	(add-hook (intern (concat elt "-hook"))
> 		  (function (lambda ()
> 			      (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))
> 	(setq twh-modes (cdr twh-modes)
> 	      elt (car twh-modes))))
>
> If I ever need to do that in an additional mode, all I have to do is
> add another mode name to the list at the beginning of this snippet:
> hardly a tedious job.

Sure, I once did something similar in .emacs. It's not exactly friendly
to beginners who might want to do this though.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion for until I send you a patch, which
might be never.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-23 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 23 Jan 2007 09:48:47 -0800
> >
> >     ;;; Turn on trailing whitespace highlighting in modes where
> >     ;;; it makes sense.
> >     (let* ((twh-modes '("texinfo-mode" "makefile-mode" "c-mode-common"
> > 			"emacs-lisp-mode" "outline-mode" "sh-mode"
> > 			"shell-script-mode"
> > 			))
> > 	   (elt (car twh-modes)))
> >       (while elt
> > 	(add-hook (intern (concat elt "-hook"))
> > 		  (function (lambda ()
> > 			      (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))
> > 	(setq twh-modes (cdr twh-modes)
> > 	      elt (car twh-modes))))
> >
> > If I ever need to do that in an additional mode, all I have to do is
> > add another mode name to the list at the beginning of this snippet:
> > hardly a tedious job.
>
> Sure, I once did something similar in .emacs. It's not exactly friendly
> to beginners who might want to do this though.

I doubt that beginners would think about such advanced customizations
as the one that started this thread.

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-02 19:27             ` leoboiko
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3919.1170444615.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: leoboiko @ 2007-02-02 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:57:35 -0500,
Stefan Monnier wrote:
> You could start with find-file-hook.

find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
doesn’t get fundamental-mode.

What I’d like is fundamental-mode-hook.

“Damn vim users”, I said.  “Keep leaving those trailing whitespaces
all over the place.  It disrupts my mental concentration, for I have
show-trailing-whitespace globally as t, and I have to stop whatever
I’m doing to delete-trailing-whitespace.”

“You could put it in a hook, you know”, said my friend.

“Yes, of course”, I replied, with my best “why I didn’t think of this
before” voice.  “But I need to test whether the buffer is read-only,
else we’d generate lots of beeps”:

(setq-default show-trailing-whitespace nil)

(defun leoboiko/delete-and-show-trailing-whitespace ()
  "If the buffer is not readonly, delete trailing whitespace and turn on
`show-trailing-whitespace'."
  (interactive)
  (if (not buffer-read-only)
      (progn
        (delete-trailing-whitespace)
        (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))

(add-hook 'hook-for-all-buffers ;; what to put here?
          'leoboiko/delete-and-show-trailing-whitespace)

My first attempt was find-file-hook, but I want it to apply to
non-file buffers too (like email drafts, etc).  My second attempt was
fundamental-mode-hook, but there is no such thing.  My third attempt
(after reading fundamental-mode’s source) was
after-change-major-mode-hook, but this still doesn’t work for
fundamental buffers (say, if I simply create a scratch buffer).

The rationale I saw about why there is no fundamental-mode-hook is
that variable customizations on fundamental mode are really global
customizations.  That’s nice, but I don’t want to change variables, I
want to be able to run arbitrary functions every time a buffer is
created.
--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-03 15:29               ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-03 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leonardo.boiko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/2/07, leoboiko@gmail.com <leoboiko@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to run arbitrary functions every time
> a buffer is created.

Wouldn't it work an `after' defadvice to `get-buffer-create' and
`generate-new-buffer'?

                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-05 17:07                 ` Leonardo Boiko
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2007-02-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:29:46 +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> > I want to be able to run arbitrary functions every time
> > a buffer is created.
> Wouldn't it work an `after' defadvice to `get-buffer-create' and
> `generate-new-buffer'?
Well, it probably would, I guess.  And yet, don’t you agree that a
fundamental-mode-hook would be much cleaner?  You can make mostly
anything with defadvice, but it’s a bit hackish.
--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-05 22:14                   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-05 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, leonardo.boiko

On 2/5/07, Leonardo Boiko <leoboiko@gmail.com> wrote:

> And yet, don't you agree that a
> fundamental-mode-hook would be much cleaner?

Yes, I agree.

> You can make mostly
> anything with defadvice, but it's a bit hackish.

Undoubtedly.

                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-07  7:42               ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-02-07  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

leoboiko@gmail.com wrote:
> At Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:57:35 -0500,
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> You could start with find-file-hook.
>
> find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> doesn’t get fundamental-mode.

Do you do much editing in Fundamental mode?

> What I’d like is fundamental-mode-hook.
>
> “Damn vim users”, I said.  “Keep leaving those trailing whitespaces
> all over the place.  It disrupts my mental concentration, for I have
> show-trailing-whitespace globally as t, and I have to stop whatever
> I’m doing to delete-trailing-whitespace.”
>
> “You could put it in a hook, you know”, said my friend.
>
> “Yes, of course”, I replied, with my best “why I didn’t think of this
> before” voice.  “But I need to test whether the buffer is read-only,
> else we’d generate lots of beeps”:
>

> (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace nil)
>
> (defun leoboiko/delete-and-show-trailing-whitespace ()
>   "If the buffer is not readonly, delete trailing whitespace and turn on
> `show-trailing-whitespace'."
>   (interactive)
>   (if (not buffer-read-only)
>       (progn
>         (delete-trailing-whitespace)
>         (setq show-trailing-whitespace t))))

You may still want to show it even if you can't delete it:

(unless buffer-read-only
   (delete-trailing-whitespace))
(show-trailing-whitespace)

> (add-hook 'hook-for-all-buffers ;; what to put here?
>           'leoboiko/delete-and-show-trailing-whitespace)
>
> My first attempt was find-file-hook, but I want it to apply to
> non-file buffers too (like email drafts, etc).  My second attempt was
> fundamental-mode-hook, but there is no such thing.  My third attempt
> (after reading fundamental-mode’s source) was
> after-change-major-mode-hook, but this still doesn’t work for
> fundamental buffers (say, if I simply create a scratch buffer).

How about:

(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'delete/show-trailing-whitespace)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'delete/show-trailing-whitespace)
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-07 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> doesn’t get fundamental-mode.

Then report this with M-x report-emacs-bug.

> My first attempt was find-file-hook, but I want it to apply to
> non-file buffers too (like email drafts, etc).

Then add it to those email-drafts buffers as well.  Otherwise you risk
screwing up many more cases for buffers you don't think of
(e.g. minibuffers, help buffers, ...).

> (say, if I simply create a scratch buffer).

If you just create a scratch buffer it won't have any data coming from nasty
vi users (aka vi users).

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-07 17:51                 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-07 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 7, 5:22 pm, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > find-file-hook won't apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> > after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> > doesn't get fundamental-mode.
>
> Then report this with M-x report-emacs-bug.

I think that behaviour is what would be expected from after-change-
major-mode-hook  If you create a new buffer and that buffer is in
fundamental-mode then no mode change has occurred and therefore no
hooks have been run. But if changing from a major-mode to fundamental-
mode does not cause after-change-major-mode-hook to be run then it is
definately a bug.

(I'm not sitting in front of Emacs 22 so I can't check)

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-08 12:10                 ` Leonardo Boiko
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2007-02-08 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:42:49 -0700,
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> > find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> > after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> > doesn’t get fundamental-mode.
> Do you do much editing in Fundamental mode?

I do some editing in buffers not related to text-mode.  And yes, I do
some editing in Fundamental (conf files still without specific modes,
for example, or certain buffers open by elisp apps (erc, wanderlust…)).

> You may still want to show it even if you can't delete it:

Maybe, but I don’t think I want this.  All those red spaces are
distracting, and if I can’t edit the buffer I can’t do anything about
it anyway.

> How about:
> (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'delete/show-trailing-whitespace)
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'delete/show-trailing-whitespace)
> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)

This would turn on my text-mode customizations (auto-fill,
typopunct-mode etc.) when editing conf files, which I don’t want.

--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-08 12:20                 ` Leonardo Boiko
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.4176.1170937835.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2007-02-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:22:54 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > find-file-hook won’t apply to buffers unrelated to files, though.
> > after-change-major-mode-hook almost does the trick, but it still
> > doesn’t get fundamental-mode.
> Then report this with M-x report-emacs-bug.

I’m under the impression that this is intended behavior for
after-change-major-mode-hook; it is not supposed to be
fundamental-mode-hook.

My argument is: fundamental-mode-hook would be a nice thing to have
because people might want to run elisp code (not just to set
variables) every time a buffer is created.

> Then add it to those email-drafts buffers as well.  Otherwise you risk
> screwing up many more cases for buffers you don't think of
> (e.g. minibuffers, help buffers, ...).

I don’t care.  If I can edit it, I want any existing trailing
whitespace to be deleted, and I want show-trailing-whitespace to be
t.  If I can’t edit it, show-trailing-whitespace should be nil.

The only exception would be some editable mode in which trailing
whitespace is significant, but I can’t think of any.  They’d be so
exceptional that I’m willing to list them manually.

> If you just create a scratch buffer it won't have any data coming from nasty
> vi users (aka vi users).

True.  Then the automatic delete-trailing-whitespaces would be
redundant (but harmless).  However, I still want it to automatically

@ 2007-02-08 12:23                   ` Leonardo Boiko
From: Leonardo Boiko @ 2007-02-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 7 Feb 2007 09:51:14 -0800, Robert Thorpe wrote:
> But if changing from a major-mode to fundamental-mode
> does not cause after-change-major-mode-hook to be run then it is
> definately a bug.

Just tested; it does cause it to run.  after-change-major-mode-hook is ok.

--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-08 12:30                   ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.4176.1170937835.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, leoboiko

On 2/8/07, Leonardo Boiko <leoboiko@gmail.com> wrote:

> My argument is: fundamental-mode-hook would be a nice thing to have
> because people might want to run elisp code (not just to set
> variables) every time a buffer is created.

Karl Fogel just checked in such a change:

2007-02-08  Karl Fogel  <kfogel@red-bean.com>

        * lisp/simple.el (fundamental-mode-hook): Declare new hook.
        (fundamental-mode): Run the new dedicated hook, and don't run
        after-change-major-mode-hooks manually anymore.

                    /L/e/k/t/u

@ 2007-02-08 16:26                     ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.4209.1170974375.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 8, 12:30 pm, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/07, Leonardo Boiko <leobo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My argument is: fundamental-mode-hook would be a nice thing to have
> > because people might want to run elisp code (not just to set
> > variables) every time a buffer is created.
>
> Karl Fogel just checked in such a change:
>
> 2007-02-08  Karl Fogel  <kfo...@red-bean.com>
>
>         * lisp/simple.el (fundamental-mode-hook): Declare new hook.
>         (fundamental-mode): Run the new dedicated hook, and don't run
>         after-change-major-mode-hooks manually anymore.

Does that mean that fundamental-mode-hook will run whenever a temp-
buffer is created in elisp code?

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-08 22:39                       ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.4209.1170974375.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-08 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 Feb 2007 08:26:46 -0800, Robert Thorpe

> Does that mean that fundamental-mode-hook will run whenever a temp-
> buffer is created in elisp code?

Not now, because the patch I referred to has been reverted.

                    /L/e/k/t/u

@ 2007-02-09 11:48                         ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-09 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 8, 10:39 pm, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2007 08:26:46 -0800, Robert Thorpe
>
> > Does that mean that fundamental-mode-hook will run whenever a temp-
> > buffer is created in elisp code?
>
> Not now, because the patch I referred to has been reverted.

Possible solution that would keep elisp programmers and users
happy ...
* Create a new mode, something like absolutely-fundamental-mode.  Make
this the mode that get-buffer-create gives a buffer when it is
created, give it no hooks.  This should sort out elisp problems.
* Put the patch back that you have just reverted

* Re: How to apply a minor mode to all buffers
@ 2007-02-09 12:46                           ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 9 Feb 2007 03:48:06 -0800, Robert Thorpe wrote:

> Possible solution that would keep elisp programmers and users
> happy ...
> * Create a new mode, something like absolutely-fundamental-mode.  Make
> this the mode that get-buffer-create gives a buffer when it is
> created, give it no hooks.  This should sort out elisp problems.

I'd recommend sending this suggestion to the emacs-devel list.

> * Put the patch back that you have just reverted

I hope that's the generic you, because I didn't revert it :)

Anyway, I think the patch wasn't exactly working. At least I tried it
and the hook didn't get run in all cases that I would've expected it
to.

                    /L/e/k/t/u