On 1/4/07, Drew Adams wrote: > We should not worry about it because 1) it is unlikely to occur Agreed. > and 2) if it > occurs, the consequences are not great Agreed. > and the effect will be seen soon enough. Not agreed (it's not always evident that a variable is a user variable, unless you look for it). > Unless we're worrying about modifying doc strings by program, which you said > you're not talking about here, I don't think there is a problem with saying > only that any doc string that starts with an asterisk indicates a > `set-variable' target. I'm not talking about modifying docstrings by program, right now. But I think the gist of Michaƫl's idea is good (for post-22.1): that describe-variable should remove the asterisk (that's an implementation artifact, and has no place in documentation), and indicate when a variable is a user variable; it already says "You can customize this variable" for defcustoms, doesn't it? So, it's not only about "**text*..." cases, but also "*text*..." where the user-variable'ness is unintended. > I.e., I need to try to understand what you are saying, and it is what you > mean that needs to be convincing to me, not just the words you use to convey > it. I will try better to get your meaning. Well, don't take too seriously my previous comment, please. :) > That's obvious, perhaps, but I never imagined that an entire conversation > could be conducted that way. Lisp cum lingua franca! I'm not surprised Lisp is useful for that. It's the most expressive programming language I've ever used (and comments do help... :) /L/e/k/t/u