all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 16:16 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

A rather long time ago I rewrote addpm.exe and renamed it to
usethis.exe. I made two important changes:

1) It adds/changes emacs_dir to HKCU if HKLM can not be used.

2) No icon is added to Program Manager any more. In my opinion Emacs
should be run as a server on w32 and that icon starts a standalone Emacs
without any server capabilities.

The last point may need some explanation. If I get it right Emacs is
often started first as a standalone application and then gnuserv or
emacsserver are started later. That is in my opinion not the best way to
do it. Instead I believe that gnuclient or emacsclient should start
Emacs and tell it to start gnuserv/emacsserver if needed.

Doing it that way makes it possible to implement shortcuts to Emacs (ie
gnuclient) on all places where you can do so in w32. You can also this
way easily use Emacs as an edit server for other apps that allow you to
do so.

So the shortcut/icon in Program Manager should point to
gnuclient/emacsclient instead and should be added when those are added.

BTW, I doubt that emacsserver/client will be ready for w32 before
release. Does anyone have any updates on this? There is a version of
gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.

The source for usethis.exe can be found at
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/build/.

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 19:37 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-04 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> BTW, I doubt that emacsserver/client will be ready for w32 before
> release. Does anyone have any updates on this? There is a version of
> gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.

What version of gnuserv/gnuclient can we use instead?

Whenever I have asked in the past, noone comes back with the results
of the check on who the authors are and whether we have papers from
them.

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 22:48   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jason Rumney wrote:

>>BTW, I doubt that emacsserver/client will be ready for w32 before
>>release. Does anyone have any updates on this? There is a version of
>>gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.
>>

>What version of gnuserv/gnuclient can we use instead?
>
>Whenever I have asked in the past, noone comes back with the results
>of the check on who the authors are and whether we have papers from
>them.

I just looked at the code for gnuserv and it seems that all code is GNU
(except for one little .h file). Look in EmacsW32 at my site. Both Guy
and I have made some changes. I believe I have the latest version from Guy.

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 22:53 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-07-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/4/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> 1) It adds/changes emacs_dir to HKCU if HKLM can not be used.

That seems reasonable.

> 2) No icon is added to Program Manager any more.

And that is GOOD! I have a configure script that runs configure.bat
and then a Perl script to take the addpm.exe line from my makefile.
Reason? Running

  (nmake install) 2>&1 | tee boot.log

often hangs exactly at the addpm call.

> In my opinion Emacs
> should be run as a server on w32 and that icon starts a standalone Emacs
> without any server capabilities.

I agree with that too.

> There is a version of
> gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.

Which version? I have an older one that I found somewhere, but it is
AFAICS not maintained anymore.

> The source for usethis.exe can be found at
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/build/.

BTW, I've seen you distribute a binary Emacs for W32, and I've seen a
README that says:

    The image libraries can be fetched from gnuwin32.org. Below is a list
    of the needed dll-files and where you can find them:
    [...]
    The image libraries dll-files are included in the Emacs bin directory.

It is OK to distribute binary builds of the image libraries and not to
distribute directly the sources in your webpage?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 23:13   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-04 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, emacs-devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>>There is a version of
>>gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.
>>

>Which version? I have an older one that I found somewhere, but it is
>AFAICS not maintained anymore.

Guy has maintained it for a while I believe. It can be found on his site
and in EmacsW32.

>BTW, I've seen you distribute a binary Emacs for W32, and I've seen a
>README that says:
>
>    The image libraries can be fetched from gnuwin32.org. Below is a list
>    of the needed dll-files and where you can find them:
>    [...]
>    The image libraries dll-files are included in the Emacs bin directory.
>
>It is OK to distribute binary builds of the image libraries and not to
>distribute directly the sources in your webpage?

I mention very clearly the version and where to get them, but maybe I
have to put the sources there too? I would really prefer not to have
these on my site though. What should I do?

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-04 23:17     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-07-04 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/5/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> Guy has maintained it for a while I believe. It can be found on his site
> and in EmacsW32.

I'll take a look, thanks.

> I mention very clearly the version and where to get them, but maybe I
> have to put the sources there too? I would really prefer not to have
> these on my site though. What should I do?

I'm not sure, that's what I asked. I've always believed that if you
distribute the binary, you must put the source available, not point to
it somewhere (or else we could simply add the image .DLLs to our
binary package and get rid of a problem). Let's see what Richard (or
someone else legal-savvy) says.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
@ 2005-07-05  6:55     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-05  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>>What version of gnuserv/gnuclient can we use instead?
>>
>>Whenever I have asked in the past, noone comes back with the results
>>of the check on who the authors are and whether we have papers from
>>them.
>>
> I just looked at the code for gnuserv and it seems that all code is
> GNU (except for one little .h file).

What do you mean by "all code is GNU"? Do you mean it is covered by
the GPL, or do you mean the copyright holder is the FSF? I would be
surprised if it is the latter, since gnuserv was part of XEmacs.

I do recall a discussion on this list many years ago, where Gerd
arranged papers for an old version of gnuserv. I don't know if we got
papers for a complete version, or what version it was, probably not,
because we extended emacsclient/emacsserver with the new features we
wanted in the end.

> Guy and I have made some changes. I believe I have the latest version
> from Guy.

Guy has agreed to sign papers, and we have papers from you. We still
need to check all the previous authors of that version of gnuserv.