all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use project.el
@ 2020-11-20 14:52 excalamus--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: excalamus--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-11-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

With 27.1 out, I see talk of project.el, how great it is, and how it's been around for years.  What I don't see is anything about how to use it.  There's one sparse page in the manual, C-h i m emacs m Projects.  I've run project-find-file and project-search.  I fail to see how they're fundamentally different than find-file or grep.

I happen to have ESS installed which appears to use project.el.  It defines some new methods.  I'll need to brush up on CL objects and generic methods, though, before I can decipher how those interact with project.el.  In the meantime, does anyone have a basic setup and usage example?