all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs backspace and delete.
@ 2008-10-23 16:18 DaLoverhino
From: DaLoverhino @ 2008-10-23 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I type

unix> emacs

An emacs window pops up.  I'm on version 22, on windows running
exceed.  The backspace key works as I would expect.

But when I type:

unix> emacs -nw

emacs fires up in an exceed xterm, however the backspace key no longer
works as it did.  The delete key does it's job.  Since my backspace
key is a much bigger key, I'd like to be able to have it work.  Does
anyone know how to do so?

Also, I noticed on my machine, emacs is slow when processing x-
events.  It seems like when I click the mouse inside the emacs window,
emacs wants to refresh the gui menu on top.  Is there anyway to fire
up emacs (NOT using -nw option), but tell emacs don't give me a gui
menu bar, give me none or a text one.  I do most of my comands as key
strokes anyways.

thanks.

* Re: Emacs backspace and delete.
@ 2008-10-23 22:21 ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2008-10-23 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 23, 9:18 am, DaLoverhino <DaLoveRh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If I type
>
> unix> emacs
>
> An emacs window pops up.  I'm on version 22, on windows running
> exceed.  The backspace key works as I would expect.
>
> But when I type:
>
> unix> emacs -nw
>
> emacs fires up in an exceed xterm, however the backspace key no longer
> works as it did.  The delete key does it's job.  Since my backspace
> key is a much bigger key, I'd like to be able to have it work.  Does
> anyone know how to do so?

What does Emacs think the Backspace key is? (hitting "ctrl-h k
Backspace" will show it).
When I use "emacs -nw" the Backspace key becomes control-h.
Adding

(global-set-key "\C-h"  'backward-delete-char-untabify)

to the .emacs file makes the backspace key work as desired but then
the normal definition of control-h to start help is lost.
(help is still available with "M-x help" or you could define another
key to start help).
If your backspace key is appearing as something else besides control-h
you can put that in the (global-set-key ...) function instead of "\C-
h".

* Re: Emacs backspace and delete.
@ 2008-10-23 22:53   ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2008-10-23 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (global-set-key "\C-h"  'backward-delete-char-untabify)

It looks like the variable window-system will tell whether you are
running with -nw or not so the key assignment can be conditional:

(when (eq window-system nil)

@ 2008-10-24  9:52 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-24  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DaLoverhino; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anyway to fire up emacs (NOT using -nw option), but tell
> emacs don't give me a gui menu bar, give me none or a text one.  I do
> most of my comands as key strokes anyways.

(menu-bar-mode 0)
(tool-bar-mode 0)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher