Glenn Morris wrote: > I was using ftp://ftp.gnutls.org/gcrypt/gnutls/v3.2/gnutls-3.2.21.tar.xz Weird, because I was looking at the same source code. It does not build under recent Ubuntu or Fedora, so I did not compile it: I just looked at the source code. Its implementation of gnutls_cipher_list appears to be straightforward: it adds only values found as the 'id' component of an entry in the 'algorithms' array in lib/algorithms/ciphers.c. None of these values are GNUTLS_CIPHER_UNKNOWN, so gnutls_cipher_list cannot possibly return an array containing GNUTLS_CIPHER_UNKNOWN. For example, on my platform, if I compile and run the attached program via: gcc gs.c -lgnutls ./a.out the program silently succeeds. What happens on your platform?