all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-23 18:23 Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I want do create some PovRay Files with emacs, so I found a major mode
for it:
http://www.acc.umu.se/~woormie/povray/
It will not work :(
I always get the error (when M-x pov-mode)
"Symbol's value as variable is void: data-directory-list", I also get
that, when I eval the buffer with pov-mode.el :(
What is wrong here? Maybe tthis mode is incompatible with emacs 22.1.1 ??
Do you know other modes for editing POV files?
Greetz,
Christian

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-24  2:55 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-06-24  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 23, 3:23 pm, Christian Herenz <her...@physik.hu-berlin.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I want do create some PovRay Files with emacs, so I found a major mode
> for it:http://www.acc.umu.se/~woormie/povray/
> It will not work :(
> I always get the error (when M-x pov-mode)
> "Symbol's value as variable is void: data-directory-list", I also get
> that, when I eval the buffer with pov-mode.el :(
> What is wrong here? Maybe tthis mode is incompatible with emacs 22.1.1 ??
> Do you know other modes for editing POV files?
> Greetz,
> Christian

I had the same problem and found a simpler mode that worked for me.
Here it is:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/2411ba1b12a792db/abad1dff367bcdf0?lnk=gst&q=Kevin+K.+Lewis+pov+mode&rnum=1#abad1dff367bcdf0

Also, this function below saves me a lot of time:

(defun pov-render-this-file ()
  "Render current file on povray and display results."
  (interactive)
  (let ((my-buf (current-buffer)))
	(basic-save-buffer)
	(shell-command (concat "povray +W1024 +H768 +X +A0.1 +R4 +P " (buffer-
file-name)))
	(switch-to-buffer my-buf)
	(delete-other-windows))
  (message "Image rendered."))

I force saving the current buffer so I don't accidentally render an
old version because I forgot saving, and also have a couple lines so
that the "Shell Command Output" buffer is not displayed (that was
bothering me, ideally it would show only when there were errors).
The only line that matters is the shell-command, of course...

HTH,
weber

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-24  7:29   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-24  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

weber schrieb:

> [snip] *solution to my problem*

Thank you very much!!
Greetz, Christian

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-24 17:25 ` Tom Tromey
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2583.1182722253.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-06-24 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christian> "Symbol's value as variable is void: data-directory-list",
Christian> I also get that, when I eval the buffer with pov-mode.el :(

I believe data-directory-list is in XEmacs but not in GNU Emacs.
The code can probably be modified in some way to work with GNU Emacs.

It is strange that the page says that this was tested with 21.2.
Perhaps I'm incorrect about the problem here.

Tom

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-24 21:36   ` Tom Tromey
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2583.1182722253.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-06-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom> It is strange that the page says that this was tested with 21.2.
Tom> Perhaps I'm incorrect about the problem here.

I looked at pov-mode.el and I see the problem.

It defines:

(defvar font-pov-is-Emacs
  (or font-pov-is-Emacs19 font-pov-is-Emacs20 font-pov-is-Emacs21))

... which is not robust enough, since it does not include the case
where emacs-major-version is 22.

Tom

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2583.1182722253.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-25  6:52     ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-25  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Tromey schrieb:
> I looked at pov-mode.el and I see the problem.
>
> It defines:
>
> (defvar font-pov-is-Emacs
>   (or font-pov-is-Emacs19 font-pov-is-Emacs20 font-pov-is-Emacs21))
>
> ... which is not robust enough, since it does not include the case
> where emacs-major-version is 22.

Ah... yes!? Although I have not entered the depths of hacking elisp,
would adding just font-pov-is-Emacs22 to the list be a possible workaround.

I think I will also try to contact the author from time to time, maybe
he forgot about his piece of code, and isn't into raytraycing anymore.

Greetz,
Christian

* Re: PovRay Mode will not work??
@ 2007-06-25 14:47       ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-06-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christian> Ah... yes!? Although I have not entered the depths of
Christian> hacking elisp, would adding just font-pov-is-Emacs22 to the
Christian> list be a possible workaround.

Nope, you'd also have to define that variable.

Tom