all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: "João Távora" <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: master e1d24f3 1/2: New fido-mode, emulates ido-mode with icomplete-mode
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 02:42:02 +0200	[thread overview]

On 09.12.2019 1:59, João Távora wrote:

> 1. Yes it probably needs those two things (though the current idle delay
> seems OK for me).

I think the thing that irks me is that display updates twice
(particularly, the mode-line jumps up on the second update): first when
only the prompt is shown, and then when the list of completions is
added. Indeed, that cannot be solved by a different value of idle delay
alone, and otherwise that value is fine.

> 2. Another thing it needs is to simplify how you display the already
> matched candidate.  Sometimes some weird {...} will show up that I can't
> interpret.  Again, I just want it to work like ido.

We might need an example here. (Cannot reproduce.)

> 3. It needs to remember entered directory history, again just like ido
> (or at least I remember ido used to do that).
>
> Don't have a good plan how to do this yet.

Doesn't it? Pressing 'M-p' during file-file rotates me through some
directories.

> 4. it needs to be able to C-x f history-fragment M-p M-p ...

Did you mean 'C-h f ...'?

> This last one is proving extremely challenging. I want to do it with
> reverse isearch, instead of reinvent the wheel, of course.  It seems
> within reach because if I do C-x f C-M-r history-fragment C-r C-r I get
> what i want.  But of course fido's mission is to do it just like ido.

I might need a step-by-step scenario to understand what's the idea here,
and what doesn't work.

But FWIW, it sounds like a capability of Ido that I've never used before.