all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using paste in search
@ 2007-06-12  5:47 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-06-12  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But when I
give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the cursor is
in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the yank-buffer
into the search query?

* Re: Using paste in search
@ 2007-06-12  7:48 ` Stephen Berman
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-06-12  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:47:08 +0200 Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> wrote:

> Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But when I
> give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the cursor is
> in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the yank-buffer
> into the search query?

If you're using Emacs 22, the typing M-e (or ESC-e) allows you to edit
the search string, including using C-y to yank.

Steve Berman

* Re: Using paste in search
@ 2007-06-12  8:54 ` Mathias Häbich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathias Häbich @ 2007-06-12  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But when I
> give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the cursor is
> in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the yank-buffer
> into the search query?

Try M-y instead. It yanks (pastes) the last entry of the kill-ring and
does an instant search. At least it does for me (Emacs 21).

M-e C-y (as Steve wrote) works fine under Emacs 21, too.

HTH,
Mathias

* Re: Using paste in search
@ 2007-06-12 11:42 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <mailman.1986.1181634572.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.2000.1181648541.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-06-12 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> wrote:

> Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But when I
> give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the cursor is
> in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the yank-buffer
> into the search query?

M-y

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Using paste in search
       [not found] ` <mailman.1986.1181634572.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-12 20:43   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-06-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stephen Berman wrote:
>> Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But
>> when I give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the
>> cursor is in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the
>> yank-buffer into the search query?
>
> If you're using Emacs 22, the typing M-e (or ESC-e) allows you to edit
> the search string, including using C-y to yank.

That works. Thanks.

* Re: Using paste in search
       [not found] ` <mailman.2000.1181648541.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-12 20:44   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-06-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:

> Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I want to search on something I have in my yank-buffer. But
>> when I give C-y in search mode, it puts the rest of the line where the
>> cursor is in my search query. Is there a way to get the content of the
>> yank-buffer into the search query?
>
> M-y

Works. Thanks.