all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x print-buffer / lpr-buffer
@ 2007-06-09 15:10 Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Printing works fine on my solaris 11 02/07 box with emacs-22.1
However, if I do a "M-x print buffer" I get "Spooling...done" in the
minibuffer, but nothing happens after that. So, the program 'pr' takes
the input but doesn't give any output (?)
Isn't it supposed to be taken care of by emacs?
(file "print-buffer" -> pr -> lp file)

The commands lpr-buffer lpr-region work fine.

This may be the wrong list but it's emacs / solaris related, I'm not
quite sure. Hope to get some tips, help from you.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 02/07 ++

* Re: M-x print-buffer / lpr-buffer
@ 2007-06-09 16:13 ` Gary Mills
From: Gary Mills @ 2007-06-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In <x7hcphtb8w.fsf@nagual.nl> Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:

>Printing works fine on my solaris 11 02/07 box with emacs-22.1
>However, if I do a "M-x print buffer" I get "Spooling...done" in the
>minibuffer, but nothing happens after that. So, the program 'pr' takes
>the input but doesn't give any output (?)
>Isn't it supposed to be taken care of by emacs?
>(file "print-buffer" -> pr -> lp file)

I'm seeing the same problem with emacs-22.1 under Solaris 10 11/06.
Printing works with emacs-21.2, built on Solaris 2.6 but running on
Solaris 10.  How do I debug this problem?

* Re: M-x print-buffer / lpr-buffer
@ 2007-06-10  7:58   ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-10  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca> writes:

> >Printing works fine on my solaris 11 02/07 box with emacs-22.1
> >However, if I do a "M-x print buffer" I get "Spooling...done" in the
> >minibuffer, but nothing happens after that. So, the program 'pr' takes
> >the input but doesn't give any output (?)
> >Isn't it supposed to be taken care of by emacs?
> >(file "print-buffer" -> pr -> lp file)
>
> I'm seeing the same problem with emacs-22.1 under Solaris 10 11/06.
> Printing works with emacs-21.2, built on Solaris 2.6 but running on
> Solaris 10.  How do I debug this problem?

I just tested it with (blaswave) emacs-21.4 and solaris
10U3. "print-buffer" does what it is supposed to do and works OK.
The problem I wrote about is on solaris 11 (02/07) and emacs-22.1

This version can't be tested on S10 (yet). Compiling does not work and
Blastwave still has to 'deliver' ;-)

Sure would like to know if this is a bug and where to look for the
solution. Maybe someone will know.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ | Solaris 10 / XDE ++

* Re: M-x print-buffer / lpr-buffer
@ 2007-06-11 23:06   ` Gary Mills
From: Gary Mills @ 2007-06-11 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In <f4ejjc$kq6$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> Gary Mills <mills@cc.umanitoba.ca> writes:

>In <x7hcphtb8w.fsf@nagual.nl> Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:

>>Printing works fine on my solaris 11 02/07 box with emacs-22.1
>>However, if I do a "M-x print buffer" I get "Spooling...done" in the
>>minibuffer, but nothing happens after that. So, the program 'pr' takes
>>the input but doesn't give any output (?)
>>Isn't it supposed to be taken care of by emacs?
>>(file "print-buffer" -> pr -> lp file)

>I'm seeing the same problem with emacs-22.1 under Solaris 10 11/06.
>Printing works with emacs-21.2, built on Solaris 2.6 but running on
>Solaris 10.  How do I debug this problem?

Testing this shows me that print buffer does work in this
configuration, provided of course that `lp' can print to its default
printer.  Our problem report was incorrect; printing actually works
but the output is formatted incorrectly.  The behavior is the same as
if `pr -er | lp' was used; the letter `r' is taken as a tab character
and expanded into spaces.  I'll file a bug report.