Chromium counts all the matches in the page, presented or hidden. For Emacs I don't think it is feasible to read the entire file. BTW isearch-lazy-highlight takes into consideration only the matches that are currently on screen. Thanks, Gideon. On , Juri Linkov wrote: > > Nice idea. Let me try and tweak the patch to work in this way. I want to > > test it and see how it feels. > BTW, there is another useful search feature missing in Isearch. > In Chromium, the Search prompt displays the current search position > and the total number of matches. It would be useful to implement this > in Isearch. It helps to orient oneself while searching - to see > how many matches are remaining to visit with Cs, etc. > This information could be displayed in the mode-line in the usual format > that can be seen in some Emacs packages, eg "7/24". > The main problem is in the performance impact to count the total > number of matches. Perhaps to not affect the responsiveness > these computations should be placed in `isearch-lazy-highlight'.