all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2007-05-19 12:56 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2007-05-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have recently discovered proportional fonts and find that I can get more
out of my 15 inch monitor with a proportional font than with the default. [I
also tried fixed but its a bit too small]

However for editing code, the spaces (at the left) are so narrow that it
hardly shows the indentation.

Are there any modes/tips for using using proportional fonts in gnu-emacs
that make code editing easier?
Ideally I would like a mode that makes spaces at the beginning of the line
fatter, or else at least all spaces fatter than the default.

Or maybe there are just better fonts for editing code?

Thanks

Rustam

* Re: proportional fonts for code editing
@ 2007-05-19 14:07 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-05-19 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 May 2007 18:26:14 +0530 Rustom Mody wrote:

> I have recently discovered proportional fonts and find that I can get
> more out of my 15 inch monitor with a proportional font than with the
> default. [I also tried fixed but its a bit too small]

If it's a TFT try rotating it.

> However for editing code, the spaces (at the left) are so narrow that
> it hardly shows the indentation.
>
> Are there any modes/tips for using using proportional fonts in
> gnu-emacs that make code editing easier?
> Ideally I would like a mode that makes spaces at the beginning of the
> line fatter, or else at least all spaces fatter than the default.

Not tested but should work:

(font-lock-add-keywords
   'c-mode                         ; same with other modes
   '(("^[[:space:]]*" 0 default))) ; use some face with a bigger or fixed font here

David

* Re: proportional fonts for code editing
@ 2007-05-19 17:37 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2007-05-19 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/19/07, David Hansen wrote:

 Not tested but this should work:

font-lock-add-keywords
>    'c-mode                         ; same with other modes
>    '(("^[[:space:]]*" 0 default))) ; use some face with a bigger or fixed font

Does not seem to do anything!

* Re: proportional fonts for code editing
@ 2007-05-23  7:31   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-05-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 May 2007 23:07:57 +0530 Rustom Mody wrote:

> On 5/19/07, David Hansen wrote:
>
>  Not tested but this should work:
>
>     font-lock-add-keywords
>        'c-mode                         ; same with other modes
>
>        '(("^[[:space:]]*" 0 default))) ; use some face with a bigger or fixed font
>
> Does not seem to do anything!

(font-lock-add-keywords
   'c-mode
   '(("^[[:space:]]*" 0 'default)))

works (note the extra quote).  But use something else than `default'.
`list-faces-display' shows you all defined faces.

David