all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Quick cycle
       [not found] <84d83544-22a7-4462-b9bc-32d6ffc3d7c7@t12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-04-11 12:01 ` weber
       [not found] ` <ac60ad26-f3c6-4579-8a9b-b5c9bd9abd70@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
From: weber @ 2008-04-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 11, 3:40 am, superheat...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hello, I have a quick question.
>
> I have 2 vertical splits, with an additional horizontal split in each
> in one window. Is there a way to quickly switch between them without
> cycling using C-x o for instance, or C-x b and typing the name?
> Perhaps numbering?
>
> Right now I'm using my mouse, but it strikes me as very un-emacs, and
> taking the hand off the keyboard is as much a pain as cycling through
> each until I get to the split I want.
>
> - Edward

This is from jao [1]:

;;;; window navegation
(defun jao-first-window ()
  (interactive)
  (select-window (frame-first-window)))

(defmacro jao-nth-window (n)
  `'(lambda ()
     (interactive)
     (jao-first-window)
     (other-window ,n)))

and then he defines some keys:

    (global-set-key (kbd "\C-c1") 'jao-first-window)
    (global-set-key (kbd "\C-c2") (jao-nth-window 1))
    (global-set-key (kbd "\C-c3") (jao-nth-window 2))
    (global-set-key (kbd "\C-c4") (jao-nth-window 3))

does that help you?

original repo is http://hacks-galore.org/darcs?r=emacs;a=summary

Cheers,
Hugo

@ 2008-04-11 12:27 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <ac60ad26-f3c6-4579-8a9b-b5c9bd9abd70@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-04-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

superheathen@yahoo.ca wrote:
> I have 2 vertical splits, with an additional horizontal split in each
> in one window. Is there a way to quickly switch between them without
> cycling using C-x o for instance, or C-x b and typing the name?
> Perhaps numbering?

yes, put the following in your .emacs:

(windmove-default-keybindings)

then you can switch windows with SHIFT-<arrow-key>. check out windmove.el
for further options.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Quick cycle
@ 2008-04-11 13:06   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-04-11 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I have 2 vertical splits, with an additional horizontal split in each
>> in one window. Is there a way to quickly switch between them without
>> cycling using C-x o for instance, or C-x b and typing the name?
>> Perhaps numbering?
>
> yes, put the following in your .emacs:
>
> (windmove-default-keybindings)
>
> then you can switch windows with SHIFT-<arrow-key>. check out
> windmove.el for further options.

Another possibility is window-number.el [1].  It numbers windows and you
can switch them with C-x C-j <number>.  With `window-number-meta-mode'
you can switch them more easily with M-<number>.

Hope that helps,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/window-number.el
--
Chuck Norris runs on batteries. Specifically, Die Hards.

* Re: Quick cycle
       [not found] ` <ac60ad26-f3c6-4579-8a9b-b5c9bd9abd70@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-04-11 15:50   ` weber
From: weber @ 2008-04-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 11, 10:45 am, superheat...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> Joost, Tassilo,
>
> Thanks. I've found window-number.el is exactly what I'm looking for.
> Though I've been using (windmove-default-keybindings) also, both are
> nice.
>
> Hugo:
>
> I haven't had a chance to try your method, but if you're interested in
> a follow up I'll give it a go when I get home from work. Thanks for
> your input.
>
> - Edward

Edward,
don't waste your time with a reply. I don't actually use that code,
its from another guy..
I only split my frame in half, so it's not useful for me.
Bye
-hugo