all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-26 16:15 David R
From: David R @ 2007-05-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
My problem is that M-x agrep
M-x fgrep and all other greps produce the message as
 >  symbol's value as variable is void: grep-null-device

A google search told me that this was because emacs was badly installed.
I am using the win32 patch, the source of which seems to be included in
the \nt directory of cvs release.

So I thought that doing a build would be as easy as building ruby.
I was very much wrong.  3 hours later.

I do cd /nt
./configure.bat
make bootstrap

it chugs away nicely for 3 minutes and then we get the error as follows

((262207 . 4526) (12896 . 2) (656 . 111) 1819491 248270 (100 . 2) (19 .
43) (27722 . 502))

Finding pointers to doc strings...

Finding pointers to doc strings...done

Dumping under the name emacs

68559 pure bytes used

Dumping from c:/temp/emacs/src/oo-spd/i386/temacs.exe

           to c:/temp/emacs/src/oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe

mkdir "../bin"
mkdir: cannot create directory `../bin': File exists
make[1]: [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1 (ignored)
cp -f oo-spd/i386/emacs.exe ../bin
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/src'
make   -C ../src bootstrap-clean
[Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/src'
rm oo-spd/i386/alloc.o
rm oo-spd/i386/data.o
rm oo-spd/i386/intervals.o
rm oo-spd/i386/keyboard.o
rm oo-spd/i386/keymap.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/src'
make   -C ../lisp bootstrap
[Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp'
/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs /cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp; \
	for file in calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation erc eshell gnus
international language mail mh-e net play progmodes term textmodes url
obsolete; do \
	   /cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
	done;
Directories: . calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation erc eshell gnus
international language mail mh-e net play progmodes term textmodes url
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
autoload \
		--eval '(setq find-file-hook nil find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings
t)' \
		-f w32-batch-update-autoloads
"/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el" . calc calendar emacs-lisp
emulation erc eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net play
progmodes term textmodes url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb

make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-26 20:35 ` Eric Hanchrow
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-05-26 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've found building Emacs on Windows to be difficult, although I've
written down what works on
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents.

You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?  If so, I suggest you use MingW
and follow the instructions at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoMingw -- it
works for me.  If that fails, you can always try getting a pre-built
binary from
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ntemacs/ntemacs22-bin-20070102.exe?download
-- it's a few months old but the binaries at that site have always
worked fine for me.

If you want to build a Cygwin binary, install gcc 4 from source (yes,
that's a pain, but it works "out of the box") and then build Emacs
with the usual Unix-style "./configure; make" (i.e., use ./configure
instead of nt/configure.bat).
--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-27  3:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1306.1180211913.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-27  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 17:15:00 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> So I thought that doing a build would be as easy as building ruby.
> I was very much wrong.  3 hours later.
> [...]
> "./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l
> autoload \
> 		--eval '(setq find-file-hook nil find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings
> t)' \
> 		-f w32-batch-update-autoloads
> "/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el" . calc calendar emacs-lisp
> emulation erc eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net play
> progmodes term textmodes url
> Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
>
> make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/temp/emacs/lisp'
> make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

Are you using the Cygwin Make?  If so, please make sure your Make
version is one of those known to be compatible with the Emacs build
process, listed in nt/INSTALL.  Note that for Make 3.80 you will need
to uncomment 3 lines in nt/gmake.defs, as mentioned in nt/INSTALL.

@ 2007-05-27 11:47   ` David R
From: David R @ 2007-05-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> I've found building Emacs on Windows to be difficult, although I've
> written down what works on
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents.
>
> You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
> to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?
I am not quite sure. I was attempting to use cygwin to compile it and I
presumed that this will produce a native windows binary.
I have used MingW will reasonable success.  It produces an emacs from
the nt version which runs on win XP but its appearance looks a bit
shoddy, as thought it only uses 16 colours.  I presume that this is
because I did not included any image support stuff like the link you
mentioned does suggest.

> If you want to build a Cygwin binary, install gcc 4 from source (yes,
> that's a pain, but it works "out of the box") and then build Emacs
> with the usual Unix-style "./configure; make" (i.e., use ./configure
> instead of nt/configure.bat).

This is a bit of a problem to install gcc4 from source because the setup
utility only goes up to version 3.4.4
I have a few questions
      1.  How do I discover the version of my gcc without going to the
setup utility?
      2.  Is there anywhere on the net which gives me a "hold your hand"
guide to compiling gcc from source on cygwin.  I have found for linux
but not unixy shells.
      3.  I have looked for a good introduction to unix via cygwin but
have not found any useful stuff for the beginner.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
David R

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-27 13:23     ` Eric Hanchrow
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-05-27 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Eric Hanchrow wrote:
    > You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
    > to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?
    I am not quite sure.

Well, that would be a good thing to know :-)  The native Windows
binary and the Cygwin binary are significantly different -- for one
thing, the Cygwin binary runs as an X11 client; the native Windows
binary doesn't.  They treat file names differently, too, and there are
lots of other differences.

    I was attempting to use cygwin to compile it and I presumed that
    this will produce a native windows binary.

You can build both flavors with Cygwin; not surprisingly, the steps
you go through differ depending on which flavor you want.

    I have used MingW will reasonable success.  It produces an emacs
    from the nt version which runs on win XP but its appearance looks
    a bit shoddy, as thought it only uses 16 colours.

I've never seen that; the version that I build from MinGW looks fine
to me (although I must admit I'm color-blind :-).

    I presume that this is because I did not included any image
    support stuff like the link you mentioned does suggest.

I doubt that's relevant.  I think "Image support stuff" allows Emacs
to display, e.g., jpeg images when you visit the .jpeg file, rather
than simply displaying the bytes in the file.  I doubt it has anything
to do with, say, the colors of the background, or fonts, or menus.

    > If you want to build a Cygwin binary, install gcc 4 from source (yes,
    > that's a pain, but it works "out of the box") and then build Emacs
    > with the usual Unix-style "./configure; make" (i.e., use ./configure
    > instead of nt/configure.bat).

    This is a bit of a problem to install gcc4 from source because the
    setup utility only goes up to version 3.4.4

I think you misunderstood me.  I didn't mean "run the Cygwin setup
program and ask it to install the source for version 4 of gcc"; I
instead meant "Download 'gcc-core-4.1.2.tar.bz2' from
savannah.gnu.org, and unpack it with 'tar jxvf'".

    I have a few questions
         1.  How do I discover the version of my gcc without going to the
    setup utility?

Type "gcc --version".  The --version switch works for many programs,
not just gcc.

         2.  Is there anywhere on the net which gives me a "hold your
    hand" guide to compiling gcc from source on cygwin.

Not specifically for Cygwin, that I know of, but the source includes a
directory named INSTALL full of instructions.  Here's my summary:

* create an empty directory and 'cd' to it
* run the 'configure' script from the source directory
* type 'make bootstrap'
* get coffee
* type 'make install'

    I have found for linux but not unixy shells.

I can't guess what you meant by that.

         3.  I have looked for a good introduction to unix via cygwin but
    have not found any useful stuff for the beginner.  Any suggestions?

Nope.  Cygwin is quirky, and using it well pretty much requires that
you have the Unix basics down.

If you don't mind spending lots of time experimenting and learning,
then keep on with your goal of building Emacs from source.  But if
you're in a hurry, I suggest you use the binaries at ntemacs.sf.net;
they're ready to run.

--

@ 2007-05-27 19:52     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1330.1180273121.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1336.1180295540.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:47:41 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> > You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
> > to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?
> I am not quite sure.

If you configure by running nt/configure.bat, then you will get a
native Windows binary of Emacs.  For the Cygwin build, you need to run
the `configure' shell script in the top-level directory of the Emacs
tree.  (However, note that to use the Cygwin build you will need to
install an X server.)

> I have used MingW will reasonable success.  It produces an emacs from
> the nt version which runs on win XP but its appearance looks a bit
> shoddy, as thought it only uses 16 colours.

Where do you see that you only have 16 colors?  Are you perhaps
invoking Emacs as "emacs -nw"?  What do you see if you type "M-x
colors-display RET"?

> I presume that this is
> because I did not included any image support stuff like the link you
> mentioned does suggest.

This should only affect the tool-bar buttons, not the colors available
to Emacs for buffer text.

@ 2007-05-29 10:49       ` David R
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1406.1180471209.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David R @ 2007-05-29 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I think you misunderstood me.  I didn't mean "run the Cygwin setup
> program and ask it to install the source for version 4 of gcc"; I
> instead meant "Download 'gcc-core-4.1.2.tar.bz2' from
> savannah.gnu.org, and unpack it with 'tar jxvf'".

I have a confession to make.  I cannot find gcc-core-4.1.2 anywhere on
the www

I have managed to achieve
svn -q checkout svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk gcc

which takes years and seems to download an entire hard disk
Can you give a cvs line which will simply grab this file for me?

David R

@ 2007-05-29 10:52       ` David R
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1400.1180467287.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David R @ 2007-05-29 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Where do you see that you only have 16 colors?  Are you perhaps
> invoking Emacs as "emacs -nw"?  What do you see if you type "M-x
> colors-display RET"?
  The M-x colors-display was not recognised.

It doesn't mattter.  I was only compiling it so I could tell myself I
had achieved something difficult.  I have a worked patched copy from
that Swedish group who build a windows installer and add an extra
customize w32 option to the options menu

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-29 19:34         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1400.1180467287.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:52:20 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> > Where do you see that you only have 16 colors?  Are you perhaps
> > invoking Emacs as "emacs -nw"?  What do you see if you type "M-x
> > colors-display RET"?
>   The M-x colors-display was not recognised.

Sorry, I meant "M-x list-colors-display RET".

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-05-29 20:29         ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1406.1180471209.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-05-29 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    David> I have a confession to make.  I cannot find gcc-core-4.1.2
    David> anywhere on the www

Your secret is safe with me.

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.1.2/gcc-core-4.1.2.tar.bz2

--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1306.1180211913.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-02  3:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1488.1180756520.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-06-02  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David R wrote:
> My problem is that M-x agrep
> M-x fgrep and all other greps produce the message as
>  >  symbol's value as variable is void: grep-null-device

I think you are using an old version of igrep.el (which I wrote).
Version 2.84 from 1998-09-22 has:

(defvar igrep-null-device
   (cond ((boundp 'null-device) null-device) ; Emacs 20
	((boundp 'grep-null-device) grep-null-device)) ; Emacs 19
   "The system null device.")

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2007-06-15 14:38           ` David R
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2204.1181931525.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David R @ 2007-06-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     David> I have a confession to make.  I cannot find gcc-core-4.1.2
>     David> anywhere on the www
>
> Your secret is safe with me.
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.1.2/gcc-core-4.1.2.tar.bz2

sorry for late reply, have not been using computer for a bit, reading
books about ruby instead.

you advised
> * create an empty directory and 'cd' to it
> * run the 'configure' script from the source directory
> * type 'make bootstrap'
> * get coffee
> * type 'make install'

> Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 > make bootstrap
> Configuring in build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty
> /bin/sh: /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
> make: *** [configure-build-libiberty] Error 1
> Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 >

I made a directory called documents.  not liked it. deleted directory.
made a text file called documents

Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 > make bootstrap
Configuring in build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2/build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2/build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty'
make: *** [all-build-libiberty] Error 2

@ 2007-06-15 17:56             ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2204.1181931525.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-06-15 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 > make bootstrap
    > Configuring in build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty
    > /bin/sh: /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
    > make: *** [configure-build-libiberty] Error 1
    > Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All
    > Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 >

Try again, and this time unpack the tarball into some directory whose
name doesn't contain a space.

--
Hamburgers!  The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.
        -- Jules {From "Pulp Fiction"}

@ 2007-06-15 22:08           ` David R
From: David R @ 2007-06-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:52:20 +0100
>> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>>
>>> Where do you see that you only have 16 colors?  Are you perhaps
>>> invoking Emacs as "emacs -nw"?  What do you see if you type "M-x
>>> colors-display RET"?
>>   The M-x colors-display was not recognised.
>
> Sorry, I meant "M-x list-colors-display RET".

yes it does show all the colors normally

* Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
@ 2007-06-16 10:50             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-16 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:08:09 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:52:20 +0100
> >> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>

> >>   The M-x colors-display was not recognised.
> >
> > Sorry, I meant "M-x list-colors-display RET".
> >

> yes it does show all the colors normally

That clearly shows you that Emacs supports much more than 16 colors.
So something else is at work here.

@ 2007-06-17 17:48               ` David R
From: David R @ 2007-06-17 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>     > Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 > make bootstrap
>     > Configuring in build-i686-pc-cygwin/libiberty
>     > /bin/sh: /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
>     > make: *** [configure-build-libiberty] Error 1
>     > Cygwin c:/Documents and Settings/All
>     > Users/Documents/repository/gccsource/gcc-4.1.2 >
>
> Try again, and this time unpack the tarball into some directory whose
> name doesn't contain a space.

yes this worked thanks
i now have gcc-4.1.2 on cygwin
still failed though

on nt version configure failed says it needs gcc-2.95 or later with
minGW and the w32 API headers or msvc 2.x or later

on cygwin version the configure sucessfully creates a makefile, but the
makefile fails
cannot load file ~/.abbrev_defs
it exists alright

As incidental additional failures

I tried building cygwin from source and the configure fails too

I tried building x server from source and the make fails after a long time

For X server
I have the necessary installed components except fileutils which I
cannot find on the cygwin setup panel.

@ 2007-06-17 23:41   ` David R
From: David R @ 2007-06-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> David R wrote:
>> My problem is that M-x agrep
>> M-x fgrep and all other greps produce the message as
>>  >  symbol's value as variable is void: grep-null-device
>
> I think you are using an old version of igrep.el (which I wrote).
> Version 2.84 from 1998-09-22 has:
>
> (defvar igrep-null-device
>   (cond ((boundp 'null-device) null-device) ; Emacs 20
>     ((boundp 'grep-null-device) grep-null-device)) ; Emacs 19
>   "The system null device.")

thanks
I got it working somehow (I can't remember how)

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/igrep.el")
     (autoload 'igrep "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` PROGRAM to match REGEX in FILES..." t)
     (autoload 'igrep-find "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` via `find`..." t)
     (autoload 'igrep-visited-files "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` ... on all visited files." t)
     (autoload 'dired-do-igrep "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` on the marked (
or next prefix ARG) files." t)
     (autoload 'dired-do-igrep-find "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` via `find` on the marked (or next prefix ARG)
directories." t)
     (autoload 'Buffer-menu-igrep "igrep"
       "*Run `grep` on the files visited in buffers marked with '>'." t)
     (autoload 'igrep-insinuate "igrep"
       "Define `grep' aliases for the corresponding `igrep' commands." t)
;; 2. a. For completeness, you can add these forms as well:
     (autoload 'grep "igrep"
        "*Run `grep` PROGRAM to match REGEX in FILES..." t)
     (autoload 'egrep "igrep"
        "*Run `egrep`..." t)
     (autoload 'fgrep "igrep"
        "*Run `fgrep`..." t)