all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Initialization warning with latest emacs snapshot
@ 2013-12-03 21:08 Lele Gaifax
       [not found] ` <mailman.8053.1386134281.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2013-12-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

after an upgrade to latest emacs-snapshot for Debian sid (2:20131201-1)
I got the following warning at emacs start up:

    Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
    your `.emacs.d' directory: /home/lele/.emacs.d/
    This is likely to cause problems...
    Consider using a subdirectory instead, e.g.: /home/lele/.emacs.d/lisp

Effectively my own variation of the emacs-starter-kit init.el contains
the following code:

    ;; Load path etc.

    (setq esk-dotfiles-dir (file-name-directory
                        (or (buffer-file-name) load-file-name))
          esk-autoload-file (concat esk-dotfiles-dir "loaddefs.el")
          package-user-dir (concat esk-dotfiles-dir "elpa")
          esk-custom-file (concat esk-dotfiles-dir "custom")
          esk-system-specific-config (concat esk-dotfiles-dir system-name)
          esk-user-specific-config (concat esk-dotfiles-dir user-login-name)
          esk-user-specific-dir (concat esk-dotfiles-dir user-login-name)
          esk-overrides-dir (concat esk-dotfiles-dir "overrides")
          custom-file (concat esk-user-specific-config ".el"))

    ;; Load up ELPA, the package manager

    (add-to-list 'load-path esk-dotfiles-dir)

so load-path contains the directory /home/lele/.emacs.d/, that contains
my starter-kit-xxx.el files.

Is that warning telling me that I should move all my starter-kit-xxx.el
files into a lisp/ subdirectory and put the latter in the load-path
list?

OOC, what are the alleged problems that my current configuration could
trigger?

Thanks in advance for any clarification,
bye, lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

* Re: Initialization warning with latest emacs snapshot
@ 2013-12-04  5:17 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.8053.1386134281.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-04  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lele Gaifax; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lele Gaifax <lele@metapensiero.it> writes:

> OOC, what are the alleged problems that my current configuration could
> trigger?

I had the same question.

A simple explanation or a link to mailing list post or a bug report
would help immensely.

@ 2013-12-04  6:42   ` Damien Wyart
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8055.1386139943.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Damien Wyart @ 2013-12-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-03/msg00056.html

--
DW

* Re: Initialization warning with latest emacs snapshot
@ 2013-12-04  6:52     ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8055.1386139943.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-04  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Wyart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

> * Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
>> A simple explanation or a link to mailing list post or a bug report
>> would help immensely.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-03/msg00056.html

Ah ok.  I am not a calc user ....

What I am implying is that, the warning message can link to the above
post for example.  Every regular user - me and the OP - will have such
questions.

One fine day, my Emacs failed to start (I have --debug-init) and I was
startled ...

@ 2014-01-28 10:04       ` biot023
From: biot023 @ 2014-01-28 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Did anyone figure this out?
I grepped for "emacs.d" in my whole emacs directory, and couldn't find it being explicitly added to anything like a load path.
I can still work, it's just pretty annoying to have to dismiss the message every time I fire up an editor.
I'm not a calc user either, but I do use the emacs starter kit, which may be doing something to the load path, I don't know.

* Re: Initialization warning with latest emacs snapshot
@ 2014-01-28 16:03         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-01-28 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 02:04:35 -0800 (PST)
> From: biot023@gmail.com
>
> Did anyone figure this out?
> I grepped for "emacs.d" in my whole emacs directory, and couldn't find it being explicitly added to anything like a load path.

Are you sure it was "emacs.d", not ".emacs.d", with a leading dot?