all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
@ 2007-04-30 15:07 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2007-04-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm used to typing the start of a previous command, then M-p to pull up the
previous command that starts with that prefix.  I know emacs shell mode
has !command[tab], but that only finds 1 match.  With the xemacs feature, I
hit M-p to show the 1st previous match, if that's not the one I want I just
hit M-p again, etc.  Does emacs have a similar feature?

* Re: xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
@ 2007-04-30 16:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-04-30 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.04.2007 um 17:07 schrieb Neal Becker:

> Does emacs have a similar feature?

I do in shell-mode M-r, which is comint-previous-matching-input.
Sometimes I repeat the command ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count,
and those who cannot.

* Re: xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
       [not found] <mailman.2737.1177946203.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-30 16:12 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-04-30 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm used to typing the start of a previous command, then M-p to pull up the
> previous command that starts with that prefix.  I know emacs shell mode
> has !command[tab], but that only finds 1 match.  With the xemacs feature, I
> hit M-p to show the 1st previous match, if that's not the one I want I just
> hit M-p again, etc.  Does emacs have a similar feature?

The name of the command is comint-previous-matching-input-from-input.
In Emacs it is bound to `C-c M-r'

--
Johan Bockgård

* xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
       [not found] <46361213.09ff88bf.5fb3.4beaSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2007-04-30 16:31 ` Livin Stephen Sharma
From: Livin Stephen Sharma @ 2007-04-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-help gnu gnu

I just tried these sample input commands, and then tried to search
for these.
> echo
> ls
> date
> who
> env
> info ls

here's what I find at the end of the above sequence of commands:
1. hitting M-R takes me to a regex-search prompt for previous i/p
2a. now if I enter 'l' <Enter>,
2b. the unix command prompt is 'ready' with "info ls",
3a. repeating 2a,
3b. the unix command prompt is 'ready' with "ls".

(did the backwards search for 'l' since the two instances - 'ls' and
'info ls' are separated by non-matching commands. works for me?)
--livin.stephen

@ 2007-04-30 16:35   ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2007-04-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:

> I just tried these sample input commands, and then tried to search
> for these.
>> echo
>> ls
>> date
>> who
>> env
>> info ls
>
> here's what I find at the end of the above sequence of commands:
> 1. hitting M-R takes me to a regex-search prompt for previous i/p
> 2a. now if I enter 'l' <Enter>,
> 2b. the unix command prompt is 'ready' with "info ls",
> 3a. repeating 2a,
> 3b. the unix command prompt is 'ready' with "ls".
>
> (did the backwards search for 'l' since the two instances - 'ls' and
> 'info ls' are separated by non-matching commands. works for me?)
> --livin.stephen
>

> On 30-Apr-07, at 21:31 , help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org wrote:
>
>> Subject: xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
>>

>> I'm used to typing the start of a previous command, then M-p to
>> pull up the
>> previous command that starts with that prefix.  I know emacs shell
>> mode
>> has !command[tab], but that only finds 1 match.  With the xemacs
>> feature, I
>> hit M-p to show the 1st previous match, if that's not the one I
>> want I just
>> hit M-p again, etc.  Does emacs have a similar feature?

I tried the M-r.  A bit more tedious, but I guess it works.

* RE: xemacs to emacs, missing shell mode feature
@ 2007-04-30 16:48 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-30 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> pull up the previous command that starts with that prefix....
>> Does emacs have a similar feature?
>
> shell-mode M-r, which is comint-previous-matching-input.
> Sometimes I repeat the command ...

Icicles provides two ways to reuse previous shell commands that match some
pattern (possibly editing them). In comint mode and derived modes such as
shell mode and inferior Lisp mode:

C-TAB - Complete your input (possibly a regexp) against
        'comint-input-ring', which can include shell commands you
        issued in previous sessions. Cycle among matches.

C-`  -  Complete your input (possibly a regexp) against previous
        shell input visible in the buffer. Cycle among matches.
        This is a search command, and it lets you use secondary
        patterns to refine matching.  If the region is active,
        only it is searched.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Other_Search_Commands#Icicle
sShell