all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make doc-view-mode work on Windows?
@ 2009-08-08  5:12 zunumi
From: zunumi @ 2009-08-08  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have MikTeX installed so I changed the variable doc-view-ghostscript-
program to point to mgs, and it finds the program well, but on opening
a pdf file, emacs keeps saying that it doesn't support PNG output, but
of course it does, it's written in the output of 'mgs -h', so what's
wrongt with this?

* Re: How to make doc-view-mode work on Windows?
@ 2009-08-08 15:41 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 7, 10:12 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have MikTeX installed so I changed the variable doc-view-ghostscript-
> program to point to mgs, and it finds the program well, but on opening
> a pdf file, emacs keeps saying that it doesn't support PNG output, but
> of course it does, it's written in the output of 'mgs -h', so what's
> wrongt with this?

the doc view mode doesn't work for me on Windows nor OS X. e.g. here's
the error msg when trying to open a pdf inside dired in emacsW32:

No PNG support available or some conversion utility for pdf files is
missing.  Type C-c C-c to switch to fundamental-mode, C-c C-t to show
the doc as text in a separate buffer  or k to kill this buffer.
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
Mark set

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: How to make doc-view-mode work on Windows?
@ 2009-08-09  4:08   ` zunumi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4222.1249802699.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: zunumi @ 2009-08-09  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 8, 11:41 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 10:12 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have MikTeX installed so I changed the variable doc-view-ghostscript-
> > program to point to mgs, and it finds the program well, but on opening
> > a pdf file, emacs keeps saying that it doesn't support PNG output, but
> > of course it does, it's written in the output of 'mgs -h', so what's
> > wrongt with this?
>
> the doc view mode doesn't work for me on Windows nor OS X. e.g. here's
> the error msg when trying to open a pdf inside dired in emacsW32:
>
> No PNG support available or some conversion utility for pdf files is
> missing.  Type C-c C-c to switch to fundamental-mode, C-c C-t to show
> the doc as text in a separate buffer  or k to kill this buffer.
> Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
> Mark set
>
>   Xah
> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

I get the same error message, but as I googled, the doc-view mode
doesn't work on Windows and OS out of the box, but it should work
after some configuration, I just can't find the details.

* Re: How to make doc-view-mode work on Windows?
@ 2009-08-09  4:35     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-09  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 8, 9:08 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 11:41 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 7, 10:12 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I have MikTeX installed so I changed the variable doc-view-ghostscript-
> > > program to point to mgs, and it finds the program well, but on opening
> > > a pdf file, emacs keeps saying that it doesn't support PNG output, but
> > > of course it does, it's written in the output of 'mgs -h', so what's
> > > wrongt with this?
>
> > the doc view mode doesn't work for me on Windows nor OS X. e.g. here's
> > the error msg when trying to open a pdf inside dired in emacsW32:
>
> > No PNG support available or some conversion utility for pdf files is
> > missing.  Type C-c C-c to switch to fundamental-mode, C-c C-t to show
> > the doc as text in a separate buffer  or k to kill this buffer.
> > Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
> > Mark set
>
> >   Xah
> > ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> > ☄
>
> I get the same error message, but as I googled, the doc-view mode
> doesn't work on Windows and OS out of the box, but it should work
> after some configuration, I just can't find the details.

Tassilo Horn wrote the mode. Tass, how about helping us poor fellows
who just want things to work?

LOL.

@ 2009-08-09  5:54     ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2009-08-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 9, 6:08 am, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I get the same error message, but as I googled, the doc-view mode
> doesn't work on Windows and OS out of the box, but it should work
> after some configuration, I just can't find the details.

M-x customize-group doc-view RET

,check out the program paths and command-line options.

-ap

* Re: How to make doc-view-mode work on Windows?
@ 2009-08-09  7:24   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4222.1249802699.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2009-08-09  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 7, 10:12 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snipped 9 lines]

> No PNG support available or some conversion utility for pdf files is
> missing.  Type C-c C-c to switch to fundamental-mode, C-c C-t to show
> the doc as text in a separate buffer  or k to kill this buffer.
> Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
> Mark set

[snipped 5 lines]

It works for me on W32 Emacs.  Maybe the conversion is happening
correctly for the OP but Emacs is unable to render the PNGs.  I too,
sort of recollect receiving the same error message but getting the
following DLLs

glut32.dll
jpeg62.dll
libimage.dll
libpng12.dll
libpng13.dll
libpng3.dll
librle3.dll
libtiff3.dll
zlib1.dll

from the gnuwin32 site, it seems to render it fine.  I too have Miktex
2.7 installed. And I also have cygwin installed.  Not sure whether the
rendering is happening with cygwin based image libraries or the DLLs.

Probably the DLLs.

 sivaram

@ 2009-08-09 14:11     ` zunumi
From: zunumi @ 2009-08-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 9, 3:24 pm, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Aug 7, 10:12 pm, zunumi <jiaji.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snipped 9 lines]
>
> > No PNG support available or some conversion utility for pdf files is
> > missing.  Type C-c C-c to switch to fundamental-mode, C-c C-t to show
> > the doc as text in a separate buffer  or k to kill this buffer.
> > Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument numberp nil)
> > Mark set
>
> [snipped 5 lines]
>
> It works for me on W32 Emacs.  Maybe the conversion is happening
> correctly for the OP but Emacs is unable to render the PNGs.  I too,
> sort of recollect receiving the same error message but getting the
> following DLLs
>
> glut32.dll
> jpeg62.dll
> libimage.dll
> libpng12.dll
> libpng13.dll
> libpng3.dll
> librle3.dll
> libtiff3.dll
> zlib1.dll
>
> from the gnuwin32 site, it seems to render it fine.  I too have Miktex
> 2.7 installed. And I also have cygwin installed.  Not sure whether the
> rendering is happening with cygwin based image libraries or the DLLs.
>
> Probably the DLLs.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

You are right, libpng is needed on Windows for Emacs to display png
file, thank you!