all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Better Visual Feedback of Source and Context upon Emacs Lisp "Runtime" Errors
@ 2007-04-26 13:36 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-04-26 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey again, Emacs Hackers!

When I encounter a "runtime" error in a function I am testing I find
Emacs way of displaying the error an d its context really non-usable.
This compared to the way I get it from within Emacs+GDB when debugging
and testing C/C++ programs, with their nice stack-trace plus automatic
browsing to source code features.

Are there any nice Emacs extensions/add-ons I can use to make my life
easier in this case?

/Nordlöw

* Re: Better Visual Feedback of Source and Context upon Emacs Lisp "Runtime" Errors
@ 2007-04-26 14:28 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-04-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> When I encounter a "runtime" error in a function I am testing I find
> Emacs way of displaying the error an d its context really non-usable.

The default is to display errors in the echo area. You can turn on the
debugger with `M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET'.

* Re: Better Visual Feedback of Source and Context upon Emacs Lisp "Runtime" Errors
@ 2007-04-26 14:39 ` Maciej Katafiasz
From: Maciej Katafiasz @ 2007-04-26 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Den Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:36:30 -0700 skrev Nordlöw:

> When I encounter a "runtime" error in a function I am testing I find
> Emacs way of displaying the error an d its context really non-usable.
> This compared to the way I get it from within Emacs+GDB when debugging
> and testing C/C++ programs, with their nice stack-trace plus automatic
> browsing to source code features.
>
> Are there any nice Emacs extensions/add-ons I can use to make my life
> easier in this case?

M-: (info "(elisp) Edebug") RET

Cheers,
Maciej