On 12/14/2023 11:51 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Please in the future try retaining more of the context, so that what > "this solution" was will be clear even without the need to look up the > previous messages. This is especially important when the previous > message happened long enough for people to forget the point where we > left it, like in this case. Will do. (I use threading in my mail client, so I see all the context and didn't think about this.) The most-relevant message in the previous discussion is probably this one[1]: On 11/11/2023 10:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > I'm not sure I follow. All we need is a new function to call instead > of vc-working-revision, that's all. That new function will indicate > the intention to the backend. Sounds easy enough. >> +*** 'vc-annotate' can now abbreviate the revision in the buffer name. >> +VC backends with a 'vc-BACKEND-short-revision' function can show the >> +revision in a shorter form, and 'vc-annotate' will use this form in >> +its buffer name. Currently, the Git backend supports this. > > This should mention the new defcustom as well. Oops, I forgot to attach the latest version of my patch where I mentioned this already. Now fixed. > Also, "only Git supports this" sounds like the other backends are in > some kind of disadvantage, whereas the truth is that only Git needs > this, since its usual full revision IDs are so long. I changed this to: "Currently, this only applies to the Git backend." >> +(defcustom vc-git-use-short-revisions t >> + "If non-nil, use short Git revisions when requested. > > The "when requested" part is too vague to leave it at that. Please > elaborate in the doc string: when will it "be requested"? One way is > to mention the commands affected by that option. Updated to mention 'vc-short-revision' and 'vc-annotate' specifically. [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2023-11/msg00615.html