all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indentation question
@ 2007-03-08  4:43 Ye ilho
From: Ye ilho @ 2007-03-08  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
    aaaa
    bbbb
    cccc

Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.

Ilho <><
--
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life(John

* Re: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08  6:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-08  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ye ilho wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
> some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
>    aaaa
>    bbbb
>    cccc
>
> Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
> about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
> this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.

M-0 C-M-\

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08 10:19 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-08 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ye ilho; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.03.2007 um 05:43 schrieb Ye ilho:

> For example, if I have a block
>    aaaa
>    bbbb
>    cccc
>
> Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther.

There are ``rectangle´´ functions in GNU Emacs. They start with C-x
r, can insert text, an offset, or delete a rectangle.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is
overhead for the operating system.

* Re: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08 10:36   ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-08 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Ye ilho wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
>> some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
>>    aaaa
>>    bbbb
>>    cccc
>>
>> Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
>> about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
>> this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.
>
> M-0 C-M-\

Thanks.  I've been unsuccessfully using indent-region for a while.

Matt Flaschen

* RE: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08 16:40   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
> > some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
> >    aaaa
> >    bbbb
> >
> > Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
> > about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
> > this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.
>
> M-0 C-M-\

Another possibility is `M-- 3 C-x TAB', that is, give `indent-rigidly' an
argument of -3 to indent 3 characters to the left (really outdent). If you
want to outdent all the way, and you don't want to count how many chars that
is, just provide an extra-large argument, such as -99.

`indent-rigidly' and `indent-region' (`C-M-\') are slightly different,
however - check the doc to see which you really want here. In particular,
the arg to `indent-rigidly' is relative (how many chars to indent/outdent);
the arg to `indent-region' is absolute (what column to move the text to).

* Re: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08 19:38   ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2007-03-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 08.03.2007 um 05:43 schrieb Ye ilho:
>
>> For example, if I have a block
>>    aaaa
>>    bbbb
>>    cccc
>>
>> Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther.
>
> There are ``rectangle´´ functions in GNU Emacs. They start with C-x
> r, can insert text, an offset, or delete a rectangle.

Another possibility is cua-mode, which has also functions for working
with rectangles (it can even displays the rectangle you are working with
visually).

Jiri Pejchal

* Re: indentation question
@ 2007-03-08 23:50     ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>>> Please bear with me if I ask a silly question but I am looking for
>>> some way to indent a block. For example, if I have a block
>>>    aaaa
>>>    bbbb
>>>
>>> Now, I want to bring this block to the left all togther. I have spent
>>> about an hour so far but I could not find a way to do this. I know
>>> this sounds so silly but any help will be really appreciated. Thanks.
>> M-0 C-M-\
>
> Another possibility is `M-- 3 C-x TAB', that is, give `indent-rigidly' an
> argument of -3 to indent 3 characters to the left (really outdent). If you
> want to outdent all the way, and you don't want to count how many chars that
> is, just provide an extra-large argument, such as -99.

Thanks.  M-- C-x TAB alone also seems to outdent all the way.  That's
undocumented, so maybe it's best not to rely on it.

Matthew Flaschen