all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Different C/C++ indentation behavior on Win2000 and WinXP
@ 2007-03-02  2:37 Ron Parker
From: Ron Parker @ 2007-03-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.   I'm using the pre-compiled 21.3 for x386.   I was running on
Win2000.   Recently, I got a new PC running XP.
I brought over the directory containing emacs, the _emacs file, and all
of the .el files that were referenced.   It runs fine
except the indent level has changed from 4 spaces to 8.   This is
driving me crazy as I work in a large body of code
that uses 4 space indents.   Nothing has changed except the OS.   I am
not a LISP expert, but can follow instructions if anyone
has suggestions.

Thanks!

   Ron Parker
   Ciena Corp.

* Re: Different C/C++ indentation behavior on Win2000 and WinXP
@ 2007-03-04  5:29 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.403.1172991960.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-04  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ron Parker wrote:
> Hi.   I'm using the pre-compiled 21.3 for x386.   I was running on
> Win2000.   Recently, I got a new PC running XP.
> I brought over the directory containing emacs, the _emacs file, and all
> of the .el files that were referenced.   It runs fine
> except the indent level has changed from 4 spaces to 8.   This is
> driving me crazy as I work in a large body of code
> that uses 4 space indents.   Nothing has changed except the OS.   I am
> not a LISP expert, but can follow instructions if anyone
> has suggestions.

The site-start.el and default.el files are probably not referenced in
your ~/.emacs file, but they were loaded automatically.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Different C/C++ indentation behavior on Win2000 and WinXP
@ 2007-03-04  7:05   ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.403.1172991960.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-04  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Ron Parker wrote:
>> Hi.   I'm using the pre-compiled 21.3 for x386.   I was running on
>> Win2000.   Recently, I got a new PC running XP.
>> I brought over the directory containing emacs, the _emacs file, and
>> all of the .el files that were referenced.   It runs fine
>> except the indent level has changed from 4 spaces to 8.   This is
>> driving me crazy as I work in a large body of code
>> that uses 4 space indents.   Nothing has changed except the OS.   I am
>> not a LISP expert, but can follow instructions if anyone
>> has suggestions.
>
> The site-start.el and default.el files are probably not referenced in
> your ~/.emacs file, but they were loaded automatically.

In other words, reinstall from scratch, then copy the afore-mentioned
files over.

Matthew Flaschen

@ 2007-03-04 14:13     ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-03-04 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>> Ron Parker wrote:
>>> Hi.   I'm using the pre-compiled 21.3 for x386.   I was running on
>>> Win2000.   Recently, I got a new PC running XP.
>>> I brought over the directory containing emacs, the _emacs file, and
>>> all of the .el files that were referenced.   It runs fine
>>> except the indent level has changed from 4 spaces to 8.   This is
>>> driving me crazy as I work in a large body of code
>>> that uses 4 space indents.   Nothing has changed except the OS.   I am
>>> not a LISP expert, but can follow instructions if anyone
>>> has suggestions.
>>
>> The site-start.el and default.el files are probably not referenced in
>> your ~/.emacs file, but they were loaded automatically.
>
> In other words, reinstall from scratch, then copy the afore-mentioned
> files over.

Why would he want to reinstall from scratch?

@ 2007-03-04 15:28       ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-04 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hadron wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>>> The site-start.el and default.el files are probably not referenced in
>>> your ~/.emacs file, but they were loaded automatically.
>> In other words, reinstall from scratch, then copy the afore-mentioned
>> files over.
>
> Why would he want to reinstall from scratch?

I was assuming that these files (site-start.el, default.el, etc.) were
installed with emacs.  If so, he only said he copied over the folder
containing emacs.  That implies he may never have properly installed
emacs on the new machine.

Matt Flaschen

* Re: Different C/C++ indentation behavior on Win2000 and WinXP
@ 2007-03-06  3:56         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-06  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Hadron wrote:
>> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

>>> In other words, reinstall from scratch, then copy the afore-mentioned
>>> files over.
>> Why would he want to reinstall from scratch?
>
> I was assuming that these files (site-start.el, default.el, etc.) were
> installed with emacs.  If so, he only said he copied over the folder
> containing emacs.  That implies he may never have properly installed
> emacs on the new machine.

Those files are not included in the source distribution, but some
precompiled distributions use them to define their own customizations.
The OP said he's using a precompiled distribution on Windows, so it's
possible it was packaged with site-start.el and/or default.el files; or
that he or an administrator updated them at some point thereafter.

He also said that he copied "all of the .el files that were referenced"
(in his .emacs, I'm guessing), so copying _all_ of the .el and .elc files
(for freedom and speed, resp.) would get him closer to a proper
installation without starting all over.  Of course, it still leaves
the various info/* and etc/* files and lib-src executables.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA