all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to specify argument to move-to-column function
@ 2007-02-14 14:30 Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-02-14 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm trying to use move-to-column function in Emacs. Following the
documentation,

*Function : move-to-column* *column &optional force
*This function moves point to column in the current line. The calculation of
column takes into account the widths of the displayed representations of the
characters between the start of the line and point.

I cannot specify the column parameter to move to a particular column say 20.
Please help.

Thanks
Ankur Jain

* Re: How to specify argument to move-to-column function
@ 2007-02-14 14:38 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-02-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/14/07, Ankur Jain <ankurj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot specify the column parameter to move to a particular column say 20.

Try "C-2 C-0 M-x move-to-column RET". That's Control-2, Control-0,
Meta-x (known as Alt-x in many keyboards), etc.

If you're going to use `move-to-column' often perhaps it'd be better
to bind it to any unused key.

             Juanma

* Re: How to specify argument to move-to-column function
@ 2007-02-15  5:49   ` Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-02-15  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes it worked, thanks! :)

--
Regards
Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

* Re: How to specify argument to move-to-column function
@ 2007-02-21  2:57 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-02-21  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ankur Jain wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to use move-to-column function in Emacs. Following the
> documentation,
>
> *Function : move-to-column * /column &optional force
> /This function moves point to column in the current line. The
> calculation of column takes into account the widths of the displayed
> representations of the characters between the start of the line and point.
>
> I cannot specify the column parameter to move to a particular column say
> 20. Please help.

The doc string should mention that the COLUMN arg can be specified
interactively as the prefix arg.

C-u 20 M-x move-to-column

--
Kevin Rodgers