all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 27 may send invalid email messages without signaling an error
@ 2020-02-26 21:32 Rainer Gemulla
From: Rainer Gemulla @ 2020-02-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had sent a bug report
(http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38654) about a bug in
messaging in the Emacs 27 branch to the bug tracker over a months ago,
but haven't heard back.

It's a severe bug: Emacs may send invalid (i.e., unreadable) email
messages to the recipient without the sender noticing. The bug is still
present as of today, and this makes Emacs 27 unusable for me.

I tried to look into the bug myself, but got stuck somewhere deep in
Emacs internals. Do you have any suggestions for how to proceed or help
fixing this bug?

* Re: Emacs 27 may send invalid email messages without signaling an error
@ 2020-02-28  7:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-02-28  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Rainer Gemulla" <hqn1@gmx.de>
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 21:32:55 +0000
>
> I had sent a bug report
> (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38654) about a bug in
> messaging in the Emacs 27 branch to the bug tracker over a months ago,
> but haven't heard back.
>
> It's a severe bug: Emacs may send invalid (i.e., unreadable) email
> messages to the recipient without the sender noticing. The bug is still
> present as of today, and this makes Emacs 27 unusable for me.
>
> I tried to look into the bug myself, but got stuck somewhere deep in
> Emacs internals. Do you have any suggestions for how to proceed or help
> fixing this bug?

Try describing the bug as part of a frequent/important use case.  The
description you posted is so convoluted and full of invoking special
functions that it's hard to realize why it is a severe bug that needs
to be fixed ASAP.  That other users didn't report anything like that,
and no one chimed in to say "me too", the impression of the bug being
specific to your setup or usage patterns is reinforced.

* Re: Emacs 27 may send invalid email messages without signaling an error
@ 2020-03-03 15:43   ` Rainer Gemulla
From: Rainer Gemulla @ 2020-03-03 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs