all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
@ 2006-11-15 21:08 Alan Lue
From: Alan Lue @ 2006-11-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using `C-x b' without an argument displays the most
recent buffer among those not currently displayed.  I
find this behavior annoying when I intend to keep the
same buffer displayed in multiple windows and frames;
oftentimes I need to briefly visit another file, and
when I return to a buffer that is already displayed in
another frames, I need to specify its name explicity.

Is there some way I could modify the behavior of
`switch-to-buffer' so that invoking `C-x b' without an
argument will bring me back to the most recent buffer,
whether or not it is currently displayed in another
window/frame?

Alan

Sponsored Link

$420k for $1,399/mo.
Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

* Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
@ 2006-11-15 21:21 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 15, 2006, at 3:08 PM, Alan Lue wrote:

> Using `C-x b' without an argument displays the most
> recent buffer among those not currently displayed.  I
> find this behavior annoying when I intend to keep the
> same buffer displayed in multiple windows and frames;
> oftentimes I need to briefly visit another file, and
> when I return to a buffer that is already displayed in
> another frames, I need to specify its name explicity.
>
> Is there some way I could modify the behavior of
> `switch-to-buffer' so that invoking `C-x b' without an
> argument will bring me back to the most recent buffer,
> whether or not it is currently displayed in another
> window/frame?

What I do is C-X / (point to register).  Then come back via C-X j
(jump to register)

HTH
Perry Smith
Ease Software, Inc.
pedz@easesoftware.com
http://www.easesoftware.com

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

* Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
@ 2006-11-16 22:22   ` Alan Lue
From: Alan Lue @ 2006-11-16 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Registers are a good solution, but I'd really like to
find a way to change the behavior of switch-to-buffer.
 I don't know any lisp.  Is there an easy way to
change this?  Or is there some configuration option
built into emacs?

Alan

@ 2006-11-17 11:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-17 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:22:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Alan Lue <alanlue@yahoo.com>
>
> Registers are a good solution, but I'd really like to
> find a way to change the behavior of switch-to-buffer.
>  I don't know any lisp.  Is there an easy way to
> change this?  Or is there some configuration option
> built into emacs?

You could try something based on dedicated windows (see the functions
window-dedicated-p and set-window-dedicated-p), but it probably won't
be easy if you want to get away without any Lisp.

One possibility is to try the winner.el package which comes with
Emacs.  It has commands to save and restore the window configuration.

OTOH, if your problem is that you sometimes briefly visit another
file, then I'd suggest to use "C-x 5 f" to do that.  This has the
advantage of leaving your original frame's windows intact, making
return to it a simple matter of switching to the original frame.

* Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
@ 2006-11-17 16:52 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-11-17 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Lue wrote:
> Using `C-x b' without an argument displays the most
> recent buffer among those not currently displayed.  I
> find this behavior annoying when I intend to keep the
> same buffer displayed in multiple windows and frames;
> oftentimes I need to briefly visit another file, and
> when I return to a buffer that is already displayed in
> another frames, I need to specify its name explicity.
>
> Is there some way I could modify the behavior of
> `switch-to-buffer' so that invoking `C-x b' without an
> argument will bring me back to the most recent buffer,
> whether or not it is currently displayed in another
> window/frame?

Try this:

(defadvice switch-to-buffer (before interactive-default-buffer activate)
   "Consider buffers that are already visible as the default BUFFER."
   (interactive (list (read-buffer "Switch to buffer: "
				  (other-buffer (current-buffer) t)))))

--
Kevin

* Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
@ 2006-11-18 22:44   ` Alan Lue
From: Alan Lue @ 2006-11-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Awesome.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Alan

--- Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alan Lue wrote:
> > Using `C-x b' without an argument displays the
> most
> > recent buffer among those not currently displayed.
> > find this behavior annoying when I intend to keep
> the
> > same buffer displayed in multiple windows and
> frames;
> > oftentimes I need to briefly visit another file,
> and
> > when I return to a buffer that is already
> displayed in
> > another frames, I need to specify its name
> explicity.
> >
> > Is there some way I could modify the behavior of
> > `switch-to-buffer' so that invoking `C-x b'
> without an
> > argument will bring me back to the most recent
> buffer,
> > whether or not it is currently displayed in
> another
> > window/frame?
>
> Try this:
>
> (defadvice switch-to-buffer (before
> interactive-default-buffer activate)
>    "Consider buffers that are already visible as the
> default BUFFER."
>    (interactive (list (read-buffer "Switch to
> buffer: "
> 				  (other-buffer (current-buffer) t)))))
>
> --
> Kevin

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre