all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* get emacs to copy/cut/paste from CLIPBOARD selection?
@ 2010-01-22  1:39 Brendan Miller
From: Brendan Miller @ 2010-01-22  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want emacs to play nice with my other editors, in terms of using the
CLIPBOARD selection. What's the easiest way to make this happen? Right
now emacs seems to only pay attention to the primary collection. Is
there any way to make emacs play nice with other editors and the
clipboard manager in this regard?

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ClipboardManager

* Re: get emacs to copy/cut/paste from CLIPBOARD selection?
       [not found] <mailman.1913.1264124391.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-22  9:22 ` Torben Knudsen
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2010-01-22  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net> writes:

> I want emacs to play nice with my other editors, in terms of using the
> CLIPBOARD selection. What's the easiest way to make this happen? Right
> now emacs seems to only pay attention to the primary collection. Is
> there any way to make emacs play nice with other editors and the
> clipboard manager in this regard?
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ClipboardManager

I use

(global-set-key "\C-cw" 'clipboard-kill-ring-save)
(global-set-key "\C-cy" 'clipboard-yank)

but there are other ways.  I also have the following in my .emacs wich I
don't remember what is

;; make emacs use the clipboard
;(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
;(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

--
Torben Knudsen

* Re: get emacs to copy/cut/paste from CLIPBOARD selection?
@ 2010-01-22 19:34   ` Brendan Miller
From: Brendan Miller @ 2010-01-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torben Knudsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Aha! With emacs 23 on ubuntu, pasting this into my .emacs makes emacs
have sane clipboard behavior using traditional emacs keybindings! I'm
not sure why this isn't default...

;; try to get clipboard working
; stops selection with a mouse being immediately injected to the kill ring
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region nil)
; stops killing/yanking interacting with primary X11 selection
(setq x-select-enable-primary nil)
; makes killing/yanking interact with clipboard X11 selection
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

;  active region sets primary X11 selection
(setq select-active-regions t)
; make mouse middle-click only paste from primary X11 selection, not
clipboard and kill ring.
(global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-primary)