all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to go back to matching parenthesis in python-mode?
@ 2021-10-25  3:09 edgar
From: edgar @ 2021-10-25  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I would like to know if you can help me, please. I have this MWE
(minimally working example):

     a = sum([val for val in range(10)])

If I set the point (cursor) at the end of the line and type `C-M b'
(`backward-sexp'), I would expect to go back to the matching parenthesis
next to `sum', but it takes me to the beginning of the line.

How can I go back to the matching parenthesis? Thank you

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27,
cairo version 1.17.4) of 2021-03-26
python.el:
;; Version: 0.28

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: how to go back to matching parenthesis in python-mode?
@ 2021-10-25  6:20 ` Kévin Le Gouguec
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2021-10-25  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> How can I go back to the matching parenthesis? Thank you
>
> GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27,

Up to version 27.2, the recommended way (explained in the opening
commentary of python.el[1]) is to set forward-sexp-function to nil in
python-mode-hook:

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
          (lambda () (setq forward-sexp-function nil)))

In 28.1, the new user option python-forward-sexp-function will let you
do away with the hook[2].

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/progmodes/python.el?h=emacs-27.2#n59
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/NEWS?h=emacs-28&id=1e8be48738e1324edb9891ff6f7077bd1306cdd7#n2862

* Re: how to go back to matching parenthesis in python-mode?
@ 2021-10-25 16:11   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2021-10-25 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kévin Le Gouguec; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Kévin,

On 2021-10-25 06:20, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
> Up to version 27.2, the recommended way (explained in the opening
> commentary of python.el[1]) is to set forward-sexp-function to nil in
> python-mode-hook:
>
> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>           (lambda () (setq forward-sexp-function nil)))
>
> In 28.1, the new user option python-forward-sexp-function will let you
> do away with the hook[2].

Thank you very much. I did check python.el, but only to see the
function. I am sorry; I never imagined that this situation would be
explained there. Much appreciated :) .

@ 2021-10-25 17:54     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

edgar wrote:

> Thank you very much. I did check python.el, but only to see
> the function. I am sorry; I never imagined that this
> situation would be explained there. Much appreciated :)

Just like girls ... you find them in the place you'd never
ever thought about looking.

Report to abuse@vfemail.net please ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: how to go back to matching parenthesis in python-mode?
@ 2021-10-26  7:44 Anders Munch
From: Anders Munch @ 2021-10-26  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

edgar@openmail.cc wrote:
> On 2021-10-25 06:20, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
>> Up to version 27.2, the recommended way (explained in the opening
>> commentary of python.el[1]) is to set forward-sexp-function to nil in
>> python-mode-hook:
>>
>> (add-hook 'python-mode-hook
>>           (lambda () (setq forward-sexp-function nil)))
>>
>> In 28.1, the new user option python-forward-sexp-function will let you
>> do away with the hook[2].

It should be noted that this is not actually about python-mode, this is about the python mode python.el.

C-M-b works fine in python-mode.

regards, Anders