Thomas Schneider wrote: > I want: > - to install packages via the system package manager as much as possible If you drop that wish, things will became much easier. > This is especially important for packages such as pdf-tools, which require development headers of several libraries, but are readily installed via system packages pdf-tools are not released often, so the chances to get hit by version mismatch with pdf-tools-server is quite low. > - to continue using use-package, or something else that helps me structure my init.el Hm... The last time I looked at use-package I found out, that this is a tool that prevents me from structuring my .emacs.d. Never mind though, this is orthogonal to your question. > - not to download half of MELPA the first time I start Emacs on a new host Then check the packages in your VCS along with your own code. > Yes, this contradicts the (setq use-package-always-ensure t) in my init.el, because otherwise … stuff broke. I don’t remember the details why. Because packages are absent and your .emacs.d hard require them? ;-)