all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* c-set-style question
@ 2006-09-13 15:04 jronald
From: jronald @ 2006-09-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which variable does this function change? Is there?

There is another a variable called c-default-style, which isn't changed by
the function.What is the effect of it.

* Re: c-set-style question
@ 2006-09-13 16:47 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:04:11 +0800 jronald wrote:

> Which variable does this function change? Is there?

I would suspect a lot of buffer local variables that control
indentation.

> There is another a variable called c-default-style, which isn't changed by
> the function.What is the effect of it.

C-h v c-default-style RET

will tell you.

If you just want to customize the indentation of C code you
should ask a bit more specific questions (and btw. CC mode
comes with a pretty good manual that describes it's
indentation very detailed).

David

* Re: c-set-style question
@ 2006-09-13 17:04 ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-13 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

jronald wrote:
> Which variable does this function change? Is there?
>
> There is another a variable called c-default-style, which isn't changed by
> the function.What is the effect of it.

It's in the docs type C-h v c-default-style

c-default-style is an alist determining the style to be used by all
C-like languages.  It is used before mode-specific hooks are run.  Then
once in CC mode c-set-style can be used to change the mode on the fly.

So, c-default-style is most useful for writing you .emacs files,
c-set-style is most useful to change the style during editing.  You
could use c-set-style to change the style in a hook if you liked though.

* what confuse me is ...
@ 2006-09-13 20:31 ` jronald
From: jronald @ 2006-09-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

By consulting c-default-style in emacs's doc,
it says:

c-default-style's value is
((java-mode . "java")
 (other . "gnu"))

but I'm editing a .cpp file.

"jronald" <followait@163.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:ee96lh$5t9$1@news.yaako.com...
> Which variable does this function change? Is there?
>
> There is another a variable called c-default-style, which isn't changed by
> the function.What is the effect of it.

* Re: what confuse me is ...
@ 2006-09-14 15:21   ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

jronald wrote:
> By consulting c-default-style in emacs's doc,
> it says:
>
> c-default-style's value is
> ((java-mode . "java")
>  (other . "gnu"))
>
> but I'm editing a .cpp file.

c-default-style is a CC mode variable.  CC mode deals with all
langauges that are similar to C, such as Java, C++, C, and lots of
other obscure langs.  When you see "c-mode" in a buffer it means that
you're using a C mode that is internally part of CC-mode.

As a result this variable can have values for every one of these
programming languages.  For example, you can do:-

(setq c-default-style "k&r") ;; Use kernigham & ritchie style for
everything
or specifying different styles for each mode that CC-mode controls..
(setq c-default-style '((java-mode . "java") (c-mode . "gnu") (other .
"whitesmith")))

I think the name is rather confusing, it probably should be changed.

* Helpful, thans.
@ 2006-09-14 18:31     ` jronald
From: jronald @ 2006-09-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

<robert.thorpe@antenova.com>