all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#10810: smtpmail-query-smtp-server does not allow a choice of port
@ 2012-02-14  1:35 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-14  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10810

Package: emacs
Version: 24.0.93
Severity: minor

If I know what port I want to use, smtpmail-query-smtp-server doesn't
provide any way for me to enter that information. I wanted to specify
587, but I ended up with a custom-set-variables section containing:

'(smtpmail-smtp-service "smtp"))

* bug#10810: smtpmail-query-smtp-server does not allow a choice of port
@ 2012-02-14  2:15 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-14  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10810

Glenn Morris wrote:

> If I know what port I want to use, smtpmail-query-smtp-server doesn't
> provide any way for me to enter that information.

It gets stranger...

I have another system where I think am I supposed to use port 465.
Maybe that's nonsense, I don't know, but I tried:

rm ~/.emacs
emacs -eval '(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)'

After going through all the prompting, I ended up with a .emacs
containing:

'(smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

and a ~/.authinfo with a "port 587" entry. Ie, my initial setting for
smtpmail-smtp-service was overwritten.

Maybe smtpmail-query-smtp-server should use something like
(list smtpmail-smtp-service 587) for ports rather than '("smtp" 587).

* bug#10810: smtpmail-query-smtp-server does not allow a choice of port
@ 2012-02-14 15:30   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 10810

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe smtpmail-query-smtp-server should use something like
> (list smtpmail-smtp-service 587) for ports rather than '("smtp" 587).

The lines below have a typo -- they push the server name and not the
service onto the list.  I've now checked in a fix.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* bug#10810: smtpmail-query-smtp-server does not allow a choice of port
@ 2012-02-14 15:33 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 10810

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> If I know what port I want to use, smtpmail-query-smtp-server doesn't
> provide any way for me to enter that information.

Perhaps it should query the user for a port number if the defaults don't
work?  I'll add that to the function.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome