all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* printf formatting in Perl
@ 2006-09-08 19:51 Steve Bickerton
From: Steve Bickerton @ 2006-09-08 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

	I'm afraid I'm being a bit picky here, but I'd like to find a way to
change the indentation used by emacs for the printf command in a Perl
script.  When I use a printf statement which is longer than the line
length, I'd prefer to put it on several lines, but subsequent lines
don't come out indented with respect to the printf.

An example:

Example 1 (doesn't indent subsequent lines):

     printf STDOUT "This string fills a lot of the line: %.3f %.3f\n",
     $var1, $var2;

I've found a work-around by concatenating part of the string onto the
subsequent line, like this:

Example 2 (does indent subsequent lines):

     printf STDOUT "This string fills a lot of the line: %.3f %.3f".
	"\n", $var1, $var2;

The indentation in example 2 is what I'm looking for, but without
needing to concatenate.  Suggestions?

regards,
steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-09-08 19:51 UTC | newest]