all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
@ 2006-09-06  1:42 Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2006-09-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to input an opening single
quotation mark (inverted quotation mark) on emacs. I'm using
emacs 21.4 on Debian GNU/Linux (testing).

In HTML, you can get the character using "‘"
For example, "‘hello’" is displayed as
`hello' but with a nice inverted opening quotation mark.

I'd like to compose email messages containing some Hawaiian
words, some of which require inverted single quatation marks
to indicate glottal stops, such as "Hawai`i".  Other special
characters such as "a" ("a" with a macron or bar on its top)
can be input in the latin-4-postfix mode of emacs.  (I looked
at Latin-1, -2, -3, and -4 coding set, but I don't think
there's an inverted quotation mark included in them.)

Thanks,
Ryo

* Re: How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
@ 2006-09-06  4:30 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-09-06  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryo" <furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering whether it's possible to input an opening single
> quotation mark (inverted quotation mark) on emacs. I'm using
> emacs 21.4 on Debian GNU/Linux (testing).
>
> In HTML, you can get the character using "&lsquo;"
> For example, "&lsquo;hello&rsquo;" is displayed as
> `hello' but with a nice inverted opening quotation mark.
>
> I'd like to compose email messages containing some Hawaiian
> words, some of which require inverted single quatation marks
> to indicate glottal stops, such as "Hawai`i".  Other special
> characters such as "a" ("a" with a macron or bar on its top)
> can be input in the latin-4-postfix mode of emacs.  (I looked
> at Latin-1, -2, -3, and -4 coding set, but I don't think
> there's an inverted quotation mark included in them.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ryo

Hawai‘i. These are Unicode points U+2018-19. I think that version 22 has a
nifty unicode character insert function. If you're not using that then you
could just put something like this in your .emacs:

(global-set-key "\C-cl" (lambda () (interactive)  (insert ?‘ )))
(global-set-key "\C-cr" (lambda () (interactive)  (insert  ?’ )))

You should see these characters if you look at this under a utf-8
encoding.

Ed

Btw, does Hawaian use macrons? I knew that Māori did (I think).

* Re: How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
@ 2006-09-06 17:15 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Sep 2006 18:42:42 -0700 Ryo wrote:

> I'd like to compose email messages containing some Hawaiian
> words, some of which require inverted single quatation marks
> to indicate glottal stops, such as "Hawai`i".  Other special
> characters such as "a" ("a" with a macron or bar on its top)
> can be input in the latin-4-postfix mode of emacs.  (I looked
> at Latin-1, -2, -3, and -4 coding set, but I don't think
> there's an inverted quotation mark included in them.)

Have a look at input methods.  E.g:

C-\ TeX RET

Now you can type fancy chars like in TeX:

    \lq → ‘
    \rq → ’
    \"' → “
    \=a → ā

and so on.  Hit TAB after the '\' to see a complete list.
Note that there may be a better input method for Hawaiian
characters (try M-x describe-input-method).

David

* Re: How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
@ 2006-09-07  9:21   ` Ryo
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6647.1157728709.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryo @ 2006-09-07  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Ed and David!

I can now input those characters.  The TeX input method is ideal to me
because I'm a regular LaTeX user.  Unfortunately, I can't demonstrate
my "accomplishments" here :-)   I'm using a web interface to
newsgroups (Google Groups) and I don't know how to input those
chacters on my web browser.  Copy and paste from emacs to
the brower doesn't work, either.  (Garbage on the browser.)

> Btw, does Hawaian use macrons? I knew that Maori did (I think).

Yes.  I work at the Manoa campus of the University of Hawaii.
The first vowel "a" in Manoa is long, which is indicated by a macron.
You can check, if you visit the homepage of our campus.

Anyway, I'm glad that emacs is so versatile.

Best regards,

@ 2006-09-08 15:17     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6647.1157728709.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-08 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryo wrote:
> I can now input those characters.  The TeX input method is ideal to me
> because I'm a regular LaTeX user.  Unfortunately, I can't demonstrate
> my "accomplishments" here :-)   I'm using a web interface to
> newsgroups (Google Groups) and I don't know how to input those
> chacters on my web browser.  Copy and paste from emacs to
> the brower doesn't work, either.  (Garbage on the browser.)

What character encoding is the browser using for the composition page?
What coding system is the emacs buffer using (type `C-h C RET')?  And
what does `C-h v selection-coding-system' dislay?

--
Kevin

@ 2006-09-08 23:55       ` Ryo
From: Ryo @ 2006-09-08 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your help, Kevin.

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Ryo wrote:
[. . .]
> > I'm using a web interface to
> > newsgroups (Google Groups) and I don't know how to input those
> > chacters on my web browser.  Copy and paste from emacs to
> > the brower doesn't work, either.  (Garbage on the browser.)
>
> What character encoding is the browser using for the composition page?
> What coding system is the emacs buffer using (type `C-h C RET')?  And
> what does `C-h v selection-coding-system' dislay?

The coding system of the emacs buffer is

  Coding system for saving this buffer:
    Not set locally, use the default.
  Default coding system (for new files):
    E -- japanese-iso-8bit-unix
  Coding system for keyboard input:
    E -- euc-jp-unix
  Coding system for terminal output:
    1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
  [. . .]

The status line of the buffer says "-\E:**".  I suppose "E" means
euc-jp.  "C-h v selection-coding-system" displays:

  selection-coding-system's value is
  japanese-iso-8bit-with-esc

The browser (Opera) has a menu to select encoding.  I tried "automatic
selection", "UTF-8", and "EUC-JP", but the result was the same.
By the way, I'm not sure if it's relevent, but I have

   (set-clipboard-coding-system 'japanese-iso-8bit-with-esc)

in my emacs startup file.  Without this, I can't copy & paste
Japanese characters to the browser, either.

Regards,
Ryo