all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* input: "f7" --> get:  "oe"
@ 2005-12-07 19:24 christop
       [not found] ` <mailman.18346.1133986643.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: christop @ 2005-12-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I woul'd like to entrer the french char "OE" from keyboard.
I now don't have any special input method, and I'd like to keep that
way since I don't want things to become complicated.
However I can enter any character I want except this one.

Could it be possible (it probably is), to enter a char from it's "ascii
code":
f7 and get "oe"

I haven't found the command to do it.

Thank you

Christophe

* Re: input: "f7" --> get:  "oe"
@ 2005-12-07 20:16 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.18346.1133986643.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-07 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.12.2005 um 20:24 schrieb christop:

> I haven't found the command to do it.

I could send you by eMail some characters that you could copy and paste
into GNU Emacs.

Or you could get yourself the file utf8.txt from the Kermit
distribution. It has about 60K different Unicode encoded characters.

--
Greetings

   Pete

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.”
    - D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

* Re: input: "f7" --> get: "oe"
       [not found] ` <mailman.18346.1133986643.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-07 20:54   ` christop
From: christop @ 2005-12-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know if it's really answer my questin since the only character
I'm interested in is the one I pointed before and which is part of
iso-latin-1, hence 8-bit encoded, and of whom I already know the 8bit
code, which is "f7" (hexa).

I think there should be a way to enter a character from it's code
(number --> then it puts the character)

Chris

* Re: input: "f7" --> get: "oe"
@ 2005-12-07 21:19     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

christop wrote:
> I don't know if it's really answer my questin since the only character
> I'm interested in is the one I pointed before and which is part of
> iso-latin-1, hence 8-bit encoded, and of whom I already know the 8bit
> code, which is "f7" (hexa).
>
> I think there should be a way to enter a character from it's code
> (number --> then it puts the character)

Actually, the OE ligature is 0xBC in ISO 8859-15 aka Latin 9:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-15

In Unicode, it is U+0152 (in the Latin Extended A chart):
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0100.pdf

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: input: "f7" --> get: "oe"
@ 2005-12-07 21:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.12.2005 um 21:54 schrieb christop:

> I don't know if it's really answer my questin since the only character
> I'm interested in is the one I pointed before and which is part of
> iso-latin-1, hence 8-bit encoded, and of whom I already know the 8bit
> code, which is "f7" (hexa).

No, you're definitely wrong here! œ and Œ are *not* part of ISO Latin-1
(it has Æ and æ)! f7 in ISO Latin-1 is ÷, the DIVISION SIGN. You can
find œ in Mac Greek. And in Unicode utf-8 at U+0153, UTF-8
representation as C5 93. Yes, I have to admit: in some Losedows code
pages too. I know of CP 1252:

	[Œ]  140  214  8C  CAPITAL DIGRAPH OE
	[œ]  156  234  9C  SMALL DIGRAPH OE

When you set your encoding to this you can simply input œ by typing C-q
2 3 4 <SPC>. In an UTF-8 encoded buffer it's C-q 5 2 3 <SPC>. <SPC> is
just a proposal. Any non-digit key input would finish the alt mode.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"