all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* desktop mode, periodic save
@ 2008-02-01 16:07 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-02-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use desktop mode, so that in case of crashing (emacs or OS), i can
know which files i was working on or needs to work on.

However, by default, the desktop mode doesn't seems to save
periodically, so that when OS crash, i lost the info about which files
that was open or needs to work on.

I'm doing this as a solution:

(desktop-save-mode 1)

(add-hook 'find-file-hook (lambda () (desktop-save "~/")))

Is there a variable that i should use instead?

thx.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: desktop mode, periodic save
@ 2008-02-10 20:54 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-02-10 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i'm using desktop.el, with the intention so that in case of crashing
(emacs or OS), i can still have emacs open files i have left open when
crashed.

However, desktop mode by default doesn't save periodically, so that
after a crash, i lost the info of opened files. (i think this defeats
the main purpose of desktop mode)

So i added a desktop-save to find-file-hook. Like this:

(desktop-save-mode 1)
(add-hook 'find-file-hook (lambda () (desktop-save "~/")))

But the problem with this is that, when i launch emacs (no crash
involved), it will ask me to override the desktop file each time it
opens a file (due to previous desktop save)

I think the solution is to add the hook only when the initialization
is complete. How can i do that?

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2008-02-28 18:01   ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-02-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

how can i write a elisp code so that a function is called every 10
minutes.

I found “sleep-for” but it freezes emacs for the period.

Thanks.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2008-02-28 21:21     ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2008-02-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Xah> how can i write a elisp code so that a function is called every 10
    Xah> minutes.

    Xah> I found “sleep-for” but it freezes emacs for the period.

    Xah> Thanks.

Hi,

there are the

`run-with-idle-timer'/`run-with-timer' defuns...

I'm quoting from the documentation:

(run-with-timer secs repeat function &rest args)

Perform an action after a delay of secs seconds.
Repeat the action every repeat seconds, if repeat is non-nil.
secs and repeat may be integers or floating point numbers.
The action is to call function with arguments args.

This function returns a timer object which you can use in `cancel-timer'.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

...lived nine lives, gunned down ten...

Christopher Cross: Ride like the wind

* Re: desktop mode, periodic save
@ 2008-02-28 21:45     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2008-02-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> how can i write a elisp code so that a function is called every 10
> minutes.
>
> I found “sleep-for” but it freezes emacs for the period.

timers.

There are several kinds.  The elisp node "Timers for Delayed
Execution" is the starting place for the documentation.