all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-08 18:29 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-03-08 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

I'm using a certain command very often from the menus and using my
mouse. It is 'search -> replace -> global' but how can I assign a keymap
to it please so that I'm able to call it from within my document please?

Thanks
Sharon
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = http://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-08 18:42 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-03-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble, help-emacs

> I'm using a certain command very often from the menus and using my
> mouse. It is 'search -> replace -> global' but how can I assign a keymap
> to it please so that I'm able to call it from within my document please?

What menu is that (I don't see it)?

Anyway, do this: `C-h k' followed by picking the menu item that you
want to assign a key to.  That will tell you what the command is
that that menu item invokes.

Then do `C-h w' followed by that command name, to see if it is
already on a keyboard key sequence, in addition to being bound
to that menu item.

If it has no keyboard binding, give it one, using `global-set-key'.

You can use `M-x global-set-key' interactively, to try it out.
You can use `(global-set-key (kbd "...") 'COMMAND)' in your init
file to get the binding persistently, where "..." is the key
sequence you want and COMMAND is the command you want to bind
it to.

* Re: search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-09 12:59   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-03-09 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-emacs

>> I'm using a certain command very often from the menus and using my
>> mouse. It is 'search -> replace -> global' but how can I assign a keymap
>> to it please so that I'm able to call it from within my document please?
>
> What menu is that (I don't see it)?
>
> Anyway, do this: `C-h k' followed by picking the menu item that you
> want to assign a key to.  That will tell you what the command is
> that that menu item invokes.
>
> Then do `C-h w' followed by that command name, to see if it is
> already on a keyboard key sequence, in addition to being bound
> to that menu item.
>
> If it has no keyboard binding, give it one, using `global-set-key'.
>
> You can use `M-x global-set-key' interactively, to try it out.
> You can use `(global-set-key (kbd "...") 'COMMAND)' in your init
> file to get the binding persistently, where "..." is the key
> sequence you want and COMMAND is the command you want to bind
> it to.

Thanks for this Drew.

To find what I'm talking about 'Menu-bar -> Search -> Replace -> Global'
and the command that it generates is 'replace-string'. So I've assigned
a keyboard binding to it and its now working well, thanks.

But this problem has thrown up a difficulty for me, in that I can't use
'C-h k'! If I try it it always just shows the 'k', and ditto 'C-h w'!
How can I find what it has been mapped to please?

@ 2017-03-09 13:23     ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-09 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-emacs

Sharon,

I suspect you typed "k" twice?

"C-h k" is used for describing a key stroke, so it takes a single key or
a bound key combination and tells you what they are bound to.

In order to get a list of all the key bindings, you invoke:
"M-x describe-bindings" or just "C-h b".

You can use "C-h ?" for a list of valid commands.
Emacs has a good help system, use it wisely! :-)

Danny

@ 2017-03-09 13:52     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2017-03-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-emacs

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Sharon Kimble
<boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

> But this problem has thrown up a difficulty for me, in that I can't use
> 'C-h k'! If I try it it always just shows the 'k', and ditto 'C-h w'!
> How can I find what it has been mapped to please?

If for some reason C-h does not work for you (e.g. if it is bound to a
command other than the help prefix), you might be able to use <f1> k
and <f1> w instead.

* RE: search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-09 14:46     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-03-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-emacs

> >> I'm using a certain command very often from the menus and using my
> >> mouse. It is 'search -> replace -> global' but how can I assign a keymap
> >> to it please so that I'm able to call it from within my document please?
> >
> > What menu is that (I don't see it)?
> >
> > Anyway, do this: `C-h k' followed by picking the menu item that you
> > want to assign a key to.  That will tell you what the command is
> > that that menu item invokes.
> >
> > Then do `C-h w' followed by that command name, to see if it is
> > already on a keyboard key sequence, in addition to being bound
> > to that menu item.
> >
> > If it has no keyboard binding, give it one, using `global-set-key'.
> >
> > You can use `M-x global-set-key' interactively, to try it out.
> > You can use `(global-set-key (kbd "...") 'COMMAND)' in your init
> > file to get the binding persistently, where "..." is the key
> > sequence you want and COMMAND is the command you want to bind
> > it to.
>
> Thanks for this Drew.
>
> To find what I'm talking about 'Menu-bar -> Search -> Replace -> Global'

I don't see that menu.  You should mention the details about your
Emacs version/installation.  With `emacs -Q' (no init file) I see
the Search menu under the Edit menu on the menu-bar.  I see no
Search menu on the menu-bar.  But it might also depend on what mode
you are in etc.

> and the command that it generates is 'replace-string'. So I've assigned
> a keyboard binding to it and its now working well, thanks.

Good.  But how did you find which command is bound to it, if `C-h k'
doesn't work for you?

> But this problem has thrown up a difficulty for me, in that I can't use
> 'C-h k'! If I try it it always just shows the 'k', and ditto 'C-h w'!
> How can I find what it has been mapped to please?

Others have responded to this question.  Try f1 if C-h doesn't seem
to work.

* Re: search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-09 18:24       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-03-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-emacs

>> > What menu is that (I don't see it)?
>> >
>> > Anyway, do this: `C-h k' followed by picking the menu item that you
>> > want to assign a key to.  That will tell you what the command is
>> > that that menu item invokes.
>> >
>> > Then do `C-h w' followed by that command name, to see if it is
>> > already on a keyboard key sequence, in addition to being bound
>> > to that menu item.
>> >
>> > If it has no keyboard binding, give it one, using `global-set-key'.
>> >
>> > You can use `M-x global-set-key' interactively, to try it out.
>> > You can use `(global-set-key (kbd "...") 'COMMAND)' in your init
>> > file to get the binding persistently, where "..." is the key
>> > sequence you want and COMMAND is the command you want to bind
>> > it to.
>>
>> Thanks for this Drew.
>>
>> To find what I'm talking about 'Menu-bar -> Search -> Replace -> Global'
>
> I don't see that menu.  You should mention the details about your
> Emacs version/installation.  With `emacs -Q' (no init file) I see
> the Search menu under the Edit menu on the menu-bar.  I see no
> Search menu on the menu-bar.  But it might also depend on what mode
> you are in etc.

Sorry Drew, those details are in my sig at the bottom of all my emails.
The menu-bar is open in every buffer and mode, as I do still use it a
lot.

>> and the command that it generates is 'replace-string'. So I've assigned
>> a keyboard binding to it and its now working well, thanks.
>
> Good.  But how did you find which command is bound to it, if `C-h k'
> doesn't work for you?

I used 'F1 k'. Because I can't use 'C-h whatever' I try and use 'F1 whatever'.

@ 2017-03-09 20:26         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-03-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>> Good.  But how did you find which command is bound to it, if `C-h k'
>> doesn't work for you?
>
> I used 'F1 k'. Because I can't use 'C-h whatever' I try and use 'F1 whatever'.

So try F1 k C-h and see if C-h is bound to something. By default, it's a prefix
key, but if you have rebound it somehow, it will have lost its prefix-ness.

--
Nick

* Re: search -> replace -> global keymap?
@ 2017-03-10 14:15           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-03-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>>> Good.  But how did you find which command is bound to it, if `C-h k'
>>> doesn't work for you?
>>
>> I used 'F1 k'. Because I can't use 'C-h whatever' I try and use 'F1 whatever'.
>
> So try F1 k C-h and see if C-h is bound to something. By default, it's a prefix
> key, but if you have rebound it somehow, it will have lost its prefix-ness.

Thanks Nick.

'F1 k C-h' opened up a help window with this in the *messages* -

╭────
│Type M-1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
╰────

@ 2017-03-10 14:27             ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Nick Dokos, help-gnu-emacs

Sharon,

I suppose you should have a look at the help window and get some
information from there. In this case the help will tell you something
about key binding for "C-h".

P.S. Your key binding is really strange. M-1 for deleting the help
window? That's really weird....

Danny