all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* howto build separate cvs version?
@ 2008-06-01 13:35 knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to install a cvs version of emacs -- but do not want it to
interfere/interact with my existing installation. I just want to be
able to try out the cvs version a bit.

After looking around, it seemed as if the main things to do were a)
ensure that everything was configured for an install directory that
differs from the location of my existing installation; and b) give the
build a suffix so as to call it by name.

Here is what I tried:

> cd /test
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co -d emacs-cvs-source emacs
> cd /emacs-cvs-installation
> /test/emacs-cvs-source/configure --prefix=/test/emacs-cvs-installation --program-suffix=-from-cvs
> make bootstrap
> make
> make install

This seems to complete without error, but the following generates an
error:

> emacs-from-cvs
bash: emacs-from-cvs: command not found

What am I doing wrong?

thanks, k

* Re: howto build separate cvs version?
@ 2008-06-01 13:51 ` Daniel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel @ 2008-06-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knubee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

knubee wrote:
> I'm trying to install a cvs version of emacs -- but do not want it to
> interfere/interact with my existing installation. I just want to be
> able to try out the cvs version a bit.
>
> After looking around, it seemed as if the main things to do were a)
> ensure that everything was configured for an install directory that
> differs from the location of my existing installation; and b) give the
> build a suffix so as to call it by name.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
>> cd /test
>> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sv.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co -d emacs-cvs-source emacs
>> cd /emacs-cvs-installation
>> /test/emacs-cvs-source/configure --prefix=/test/emacs-cvs-installation --program-suffix=-from-cvs
>> make bootstrap
>> make
>> make install
>
> This seems to complete without error, but the following generates an
> error:
>
>> emacs-from-cvs
> bash: emacs-from-cvs: command not found
>
> What am I doing wrong?
Is /test/emacs-cvs-installation in your $PATH?
Anyway, try
   ./emacs-from-cvs
and/or
   /test/emacs-cvs-installation

Greetings
----Daniel

--
Daniel Rubin
daniel (at) warum-ada (dot) de

* Re: howto build separate cvs version?
@ 2008-06-01 13:59 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.12526.1212328325.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.12527.1212329309.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-06-01 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:35:52 -0700 (PDT) knubee <knubee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install a cvs version of emacs -- but do not want it to
> interfere/interact with my existing installation. I just want to be
> able to try out the cvs version a bit.

Then just don't install it but run it from the source directory.

David

@ 2008-06-01 14:31   ` knubee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12544.1212356254.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: knubee @ 2008-06-01 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is /test/emacs-cvs-installation in your $PATH?
> Anyway, try
>    ./emacs-from-cvs

ah, thanks. this worked:

./bin/emacs-from-cvs

how can i get this installation of emacs to use a different .emacs
file?

@ 2008-06-01 14:38   ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Then just don't install it but run it from the source directory.

interesting. how do i do that?

* Re: howto build separate cvs version?
@ 2008-06-01 21:37     ` Shelagh Manton
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12544.1212356254.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2008-06-01 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 07:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
knubee <knubee@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is /test/emacs-cvs-installation in your $PATH?
> > Anyway, try
> >    ./emacs-from-cvs
>
> ah, thanks. this worked:
>
> ./bin/emacs-from-cvs
>
> how can i get this installation of emacs to use a different .emacs
> file?

In the site-lisp directory hidden in the emacs-from-cvs directory there
can be a file called site-start.el In that file you can put something
like this

(setenv "HOME" /path/to/a/different/home-dir)

Make that directory and put your new dotemacs there.

Shelagh

Jabber: shelagh.manton@gmail.com

@ 2008-06-02 10:19       ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-02 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In the site-lisp directory hidden in the emacs-from-cvs directory there
> can be a file called site-start.el In that file you can put something
> like this
>
> (setenv "HOME" /path/to/a/different/home-dir)
>
> Make that directory and put your new dotemacs there.

works like a charm. thanks!