all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keyboard coding system in console mode
@ 2006-08-21  8:58 augukarl
From: augukarl @ 2006-08-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I run emacs as `emacs -nw' I have noticed that the keyboard
behaves strangely; e.g. `C-tab' is bound to `tab' and `C-up' is bound
to `ESC O'. What's happening?

Regards,

August

* Re: Keyboard coding system in console mode
@ 2006-08-21  9:46 ` QinGW
From: QinGW @ 2006-08-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

good

* Re: Keyboard coding system in console mode
@ 2006-08-21 14:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-08-21 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

augukarl@yahoo.se wrote:
> When I run emacs as `emacs -nw' I have noticed that the keyboard
> behaves strangely; e.g. `C-tab' is bound to `tab' and `C-up' is bound
> to `ESC O'. What's happening?

1. The terminal is sending the same key code for C-tab as for tab,
    so Emacs can't distinguish them.

2. The terminal sends an escape sequence for up, which Emacs decodes
    via function-key-map.  The terminal probably sends the same escape
    sequence for C-up as for up.

--
Kevin