all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing default background color to #0C0C0C causes a different shade of black to appear in areas where there is text or whitespace. Bug or not?
@ 2018-12-09  5:09 zch
From: zch @ 2018-12-09  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I change the default background color to #0C0C0C I get a different
shade of black background where there is text or whitespace:
https://i.imgur.com/B7XIHCs.png

This does not continue if I change the background to, say, red:
https://i.imgur.com/1S0nNHC.png

Even with a fresh emacs session, ``emacs -Q'' does not alleviate the
issue https://i.imgur.com/PuvtB8q.png

Am I doing something wrong?

@ 2018-12-10  5:18 zch
From: zch @ 2018-12-10  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a color I'd like to set the ``default'' background face to, which
is #0C0C0C. I set the color, but the actual color that gets set is
#0B0B0B. And the #0C0C0C color appears as a separate background color on
all areas of whitespace and text: https://0x0.st/sD9G.png - You may have
to zoom in a considerable amount to see what I'm talking about.

And this issue does not happen with other colors it would seem:
https://0x0.st/sD9k.png - Only with colors that are slightly brighter
than black.

Even with a fresh emacs session, ``emacs -Q'' does not alleviate the
issue https://0x0.st/sDO1.png

There is no face causing this as no other face contains #0C0C0C or
#0B0B0B, I made a search through every single face.

Is this a bug? I'd like to have #0C0C0C as my background color without
this other shade of black appearing as well, it's a bit distracting
though ignorable if I don't think about it.

* Re: Changing default background color to #0C0C0C causes a different shade of black to appear in areas where there is text or whitespace. Bug or not?
  2018-12-09  5:09 Changing default background color to #0C0C0C causes a different shade of black to appear in areas where there is text or whitespace. Bug or not? zch
@ 2018-12-10  5:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-12-10  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 22:09:44 -0700
> From: zch@cocaine.ninja
>
> If I change the default background color to #0C0C0C I get a different
> shade of black background where there is text or whitespace:
> https://i.imgur.com/B7XIHCs.png
>
> This does not continue if I change the background to, say, red:
> https://i.imgur.com/1S0nNHC.png
>
> Even with a fresh emacs session, ``emacs -Q'' does not alleviate the
> issue https://i.imgur.com/PuvtB8q.png

If you mean that the background is different depending on whether
there's text or whitespace, then your screenshots don't show that, and
I'm guessing this is something local on your system, like some issue
with your video driver/display.